Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Pre-Test for Preferred learning methods

Is there a prepackaged questions to gather what student's preferred learning choice would be? I would like to gather all information before delivering course contents to all senses so that you know each individual students learning styles.

It is sometimes difficult to find out what method of teaching we have to adopt for a particular class. So I usually make a mixture of visual and auditory and hands on depending on the class.

I would use the Felder-Silverman learning styles index before students begin the course content. You can conduct a Google search for this Learning Style Inventory.

HI Lisa - Thanks for the info on that learning styles inventory - I have added it to my list!
Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

If you have a College Success course at your school talk to that instructor. They usually know of one or even has one in the book they use for the course.

Does the Felder-Silverman index contain examples of questions that will determine learning style?

Excellent information! I too have searched, obviously not well enough, for some type of pre-test for learning styles. Now that I have the information, I will use this for my next class.
It's interesting when you look around the class the first day of a MOD and observe the body language as you discuss the syllabus. Some students' faces "light up", while other students just cringe in their seats as you mention the "hands on" section of the course. I will certainly look into employing this pre-test. Thanks again!

I do the same thing. I have powerpoint presentations and I give students copies of it, I lecture and whenever possible I try to have things to pass around the class for students to see. Ex: pass around O2 tubing or staple remover kit.

Hi Yvonne, Thanks for your post to the forum. You are doing a good job of varying your delivery! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Susan Polick

Sign In to comment