Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning styles in culinary school

Hi! I teach at a culinary school and as far as I can tell I'm using all sorts of methods that cater to the different learning styles. I have lectures, and lectures with powerpoints, demonstrations and everyday the students get hands-on experience with their dishes yet I still have students who do not do well in class. What else can I do? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Hi Jimmy - Thanks for your post to the forum. You are certainly covering all the bases; have you spoken to the students about their lack of progress? Have you looked at their high school records to see if there are learning disabilities? Is there tutoring available at your school? Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Hi Jimmy,

I also teach in a culinary school. I also cover all the learning styles in my class but I find that the large majority of my students are strong tactile learners, which to me makes full sense as to their choice in attending culinary school. After all, what we do is all about working with our hands. To me, yes, it's a learning style, but it is much more than that. We as chefs seem to be driven to work with our hands, with food as the medium (as opposed to something else like engine repair). Because of this, I provide more opportunity to earn marks based on daily food production (hands on activity). Students are also required to complete a project. Here I offer the opportunity to either conduct a food preperation demonstration, present a power point or submit a written report using scholarly peer reviewed sources in the APA format. This way, students have the opportunity to present in a manner where they can be most successful.

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely look into these areas. There are tutoring available at our school. We really do sincerely provide an excellent learning environment, unfortunately very few students take advantage of these tutoring sessions. Those who do tend to do a lot better. I will definitely keep trying and keep encouraging the students!

Jimmy

Hi Valerie,

Yes a large majority tend to fair better on the hands-on portion and our courses are structured so that the tactile portion weighs more in terms of grading. We also have a paper but no presentation. Maybe I'll try that instead. Thanks!

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy- You are obviously a very caring instructor - but as you mention, we can only do so much... Best wishes! Susan

Hi Jimmy, I also teach at a culinary school, and use many of the same techniques you do. I find it to be effective for most students to tell them what I'm going to do, describe what I'm doing while I'm doing it, then repeat what I've done. If applicable, I'll assign the students readings that apply to whatever it is that I'll be demoing. Then I have them do it themselves. I do try to engage as many different learning styles as possible, but I notice that sometimes whatever I do, I just don't reach some students. There certainly does have to be some effort put forth from the students, and as I'm sure you've noticed, not every student is as motivated as they could be.

I also teach at a culinary school. Because I teach a non-culinary class, I try to come up with activities outside of the classroom to get the students involved. Have you tried talking individually with the students who are still having trouble taking in the material?

I think that as long as you buy in to whatever teaching style you are working on that the students will be open to it. If you're not excited about your delivery I don't think you'll have success with the students who's learning style is not the one you're working on to reach the individual. Basically what I'm trying to say is that you can't teach to the individual so you have to teach to the class and no matter your teaching style it has to be genuine or you'll lose more than just the one style of learner.

Hi Nathan - thanks for your post to the forum. You made an important point - students get excited and involved when WE are excited and involved! Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career. Susan

Sign In to comment