Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

lecture

What is the best way to organize my lecture notes so it doesn't seem like I'm reading too much? Other than memorizing the whole lecture.

Tara,
List the key points you want to make in bullet form. You can even put this information on a handout. In addition, you can put it on the whiteboard or PP. Another method is to use guided notes where you put certain points in handout form and leave blanks for the students fill out as you lecture through the content. This way they will have complete notes on the key points at the end of class. After you make a keep point, share a principle or concept then illustrate it with an example, story or case study. This way the students will learn the key point and retain it through the example you share. This way the lecture will flow, and the students won't perceive your lecturing as reading to them.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Tara,
I don't think I ever present my material the same way twice. My slides show simple bullet statements or better yet, pictures/diagrams, and I just teach from them. Last week I was asked to present a two hour block of instruction and was given a half hour. I also had no ability to project my slides. I agreed, went to the dry-erase board, and knocked that topic out in the given time. It was rewarding because of the great comments I got at the end from the students. Just know your subject inside and out. The simpler the slides, the more your student will focus on what you are saying, not trying to copy down tons of stuff from the slides.

Bullet points work well for me too. It helps keep me focused on the main ideas of the lesson and enables me to expand on different ideas.

I am a big fan of Cornell Style of Notes, much like many of you are speaking of. All is needed is the main points I also like to put a couple of key phrases down to not forget really important data for me and the students.

Sign In to comment