Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

15-18 Minute Attention Span

When going through other education classes I have heard even shorter time spans for attention. I do find that given the self interest to a particular topic, I can attend to it more or less than the 15-18 minutes.

I like the idea of changing things up frequently. Even if you have a 50-minute lecture to give, there is no reason why you cannot break it up wit a question/answer time, or a relevant demonstration. Sometimes just a stretch-break can help to wake students up and get them re-engaged in the learning.

What are some ways you have used in your classes to help break up long periods of instruction?

I have found that even trying to get a 50 minute lecture into two hours difficult. What seems to work best with technical training is to lecture a
point, demonstrate a procedure, and break it up with a hands-on activity in groups. Go back to the lecture and discuss what happened in lab and bring up the next point to cover. This goes back and forth for probably 3 hours before being completed.

David,
There are a number of strategies that can be used to provide variety in the flow of content. One strategy I use is I will make a point, discuss it a bit and then have two students brainstorm for 1 minute on answering a question I raise. This change of pace lets them reset their brains, talk and interact. I then call on different pairs to give me an answer. Then I go back to the lecture and repeat the process. For a wider range of interaction, I will do a case study or role play, break into learning groups or have a think, pair, share session.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

This is at the heart of the Active/Cooperative learning methods from Dr. Richard Felder out of the University of North Carolina. He teaches advaned courses in fluid dynamics and chemical engineering - some pretty interesting information (if you're an egghead). For the rest of us, it can be some pretty dry material.

So, he tries to get students to cooperatively learn. Sometimes, he will inject errors in his material just to see if people are paying attention. But the key is that he changes things routinely.

On the length of span, up through about the early twenties, the rule of thumb is learner age+3 minutes. It backs off later as we get older.

(Might explain some things about a few folks I know that are up there in years...lol)

-R

Rick,
Right you are about the attention span of adults. We need to bring variety and activity to our teaching or we are going to lose them. Glad you have a research in Dr. Felder so you can plan your own instruction using some of the success strategies he has identified.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I agree with your statement. I try to do the same.

I like asking the students questions as jumping off points for material. I also like to lecture for awhile and then show a video of a relevant example. Sometimes a demo of something they will be doing later. Just depends on the material and each class.

I am a teacher in a culinary college, I have found that this 15 to 18 minutes works very well switching back and forth from lecture to culinary demo allowing the student some reprieve from either styles of teaching. This classroom management style I have found produces a very energetic learning class environment.

Thanks,

Chris Fersch

Chris,
Great to hear. This reinforces the model I use in my teaching as well with the results you have listed from your using this approach. Thanks for sharing it.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Frequent breaks is key. I like to incorperate a demo that allows students to participate. this breaks up the long lectures and it helps them better to understand the concept.

Yes because when their attention spand is short giving them breaks and asking questions help with the students retaining information.

Marcie,
These breaks are essential if the students are going to remain focused on the content. The more variety and change of pace we can offer the more engaged they are going to be.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I also try to do the same, The first three days of a course are the most difficult as a lot of information has to be given to the student. I try to do a hands on at least once per 50 minute session, if only for five minutes, about 20 minutes into the hour more or less, that way they are usuall only parked in their seat for about 20 minutes at a time

I agree-- after lecture concepts are given the class should be able to give feedback on information-- immediatley. once they have time to re-group thru a break- I like to review material to validate they have processed information before moving on.....

This is an interesting topic that I have not heard about before. Just recently I lectured and reviewed for almost four hours straight with a break each hour. I noticed after the first hour I felt like I was talking to myself. I guess this was not a good teaching strategy. I will definately implement some of the techniques learned about delivery method and getting the students to interact with myself and each other. I teach students to operate a lot of software. It is my job to ensure that the students are skilled in the use of the programs. Just reading about or talking about driving a car does not ensure that they can actually operate the car. Thanks for the insights.

David,
Good strategy. You are getting your content across but in a varied manner that keeps the students engaged and focused by letting them use different cognitive pathways.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

David,
I wish you continued teaching success as you try these different instructional strategies out. You will be able to quickly see what ones work best with your students and then expand them from there.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

The ways are, after every 15-30 minutes, to change the subject for a little while, then to repeat and continue back to your original subject. Ask students for any questions by getting their attention, then go back to the same subject again.

Joseph,
Good advice for instructor to follow. They need to change the pace and flow of the class to keep the students engaged and focused.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

have a q and a or tell a story about yourself and the topic sometimes take a short break

Sign In to comment