Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

keeping the class awake

sometimes its hard to keep the students attention when they work and go to school.Mini lectures work well, walking around the classroom and keep good interaction with all syudents. Ask questions so you keep all involved.

Yes, I believe the mini lecturing works well too. However, It's more difficult to practice this format depending on the type of class and the breadth of material that you have to cover for that class.
I usually have to cover two chapters a day in the English class I teach. It's harder to break these basic grammar concepts into mini lectures, but I try to do exercises together as a class as I go along lecturing, so the students will stay awake and involved.

I also found that turning a lecture into a class discussion keeps them involved and not sleeping

I found that by throwing out "Beavis and Butthead" tones or voices from "Southpark" work wonders.

interation with the students keeps them alert,
walking around the room and asking questions is also helpful.

I walk around the room to help keep them engaged in the lesson.
I Change it up with a work experience story related to the topic that has a funny ending.
The pass around parts also helps to keep them focused.

I agree with mini-lecutres and walking around.
There are also many activites that are designed to incorporate the lecture that are interactive and force the students to pay attention. Breaking them into teams and having the teams present part of the lecture or having a verbal competition livens up the class also.

Lots of visuals help, flip charts, using colorful makers, music etc. helps keep the students attention.

Change the pace of the lecture, especially in the more diffuclt ones will also help keep students attention.

Pivot Point has a wonderful book called Midfull Teaching with a lot of non-specific activities that can be tailored to any type of class. This will involve all the students.
Marie

its a challenge keeping the class awake. I tell them my work experience thats related to the topic and it usually keep them engaged in the lesson and starts asking questions

All this is great. You have to give the students a state change. It is hard to keep twenty sleeply and tired students insterested in something for any length of time.

By changing voice tones and delivery methods I find I am able to keep the students engaged. By giving real life examples along with some wit and humor really works for me and it helps the class stay alive. Knowing the warning signs from the students is good and you usually know when they have had enough and you need to mix things up to keep their attention.

I agree, being animated keeps the class intrested and happy, a monotone instructor will loose them easily!

Yes, keeping students awake can be challengining .Good interaction and asking questions is a way of keeping them awake.

Keep them involved and dont let them sleep.

I like the idea of adding in your work experience to your lectures. Helps students be able to see you have been there and that you can relate. I like to get input and their stories as well, can learn from their peers as well.

Yes, I agree. Great points throughout this post. I try to combine lecture with practical application and/or time to do homework in class while coming around and getting with people individually for a certain amount of class time.

I found having sleepy students stand up of a bit works well also. It is hard to fall asleep if you are standing up.

Sign In to comment