Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Abusing contact info

I have been providing my students with my email address to submit their homework and ask questions. This one kid has been sending me jokes. So far, they have been appropriate, however, it's a lot. I would rather him not send them. What do you recommend?

Hi Tracy,
I have used a couple of approaches.
I make several general class announcements about the use of email and how students can get questions answered via email. I also tell them that if I receive content not related to the course it will be deleted and I don't want to delete anything that might relate to student success. The students need to make sure that send only course related emails.
If I continue to have a problem I talk with the student and explain that the email is for asking questions and dealing with course issues. You can tell him while the jokes are enjoyable he needs to keep the emails focused on course issues. This should take care of the problem.
Gary

Tracy,
I am in my second semester as an instructor and had given my cell# and a secondary e-mail address during the first semester. Giving the cell# was not a good thing, as I got calls about just about everything. This semester I have not provided my ph. # and asked that the students share their e-mails with each other. This way, they get to know each other and can help each other with anything they missed, if they were late etc. I have also begun deducting 15 points per day on late assignments. After two days the best that they can get is a 70%. I have been told by other instructors that this policy has helped.
Joe

Hi Joe,
Thank you for your comments about giving out contact information. It is good advice.
For late assignments I use a similar policy as yours. I deduct 20 percent of the point value each day it is late. This way in five days all of the points are gone and the case is closed. I don't have late assignments coming in weeks later and students asking me how many points are left. I spell this out in my syllabus and the first day of class. I then go over it again the class meeting before the assignment is due, so there is no misunderstanding.
Gary

Wow, I agree students do abuse contact information. I have received many forwards from my students. I usually just ignore them and later delete them when I need the space on my email. But I have heard of instructors giving out their cell phone numbers. I am usually very weary of this. I am a relatively new intructor and some of my students get confused and attempt to hit on me and if I gave out my number I wouldn't know what to expect! So, I am glad to hear I am not the only one!

Sign In to comment