Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Delivering with real world experience

Even though I'm new at the teaching experience and still trying to find the best way to relate the information to them, nothing takes the place of having real world experience in your field. It's only my second semester as a teacher but I bring in over 25 years of experience and knowledge in my chosen field. A lot of times students can relate more with real life scenarios than just examples in the text books. This also tends to motivate their curiousity about learning more about the subjest.

Hi Randy,
Your life experiences give you respect and attention from your students. This will go a long way with them. They know you have earned your living in the field so you know of what you speak.
Gary

I completely agree with you. The school of hard knocks has many great lessons. I find that you can gain a lot of ground when you relate something in your own life that pertains to the subject matter. It also helps the students believe that you are not that far removed from the "real world". True credibility.

I find that relating real-world experience definitely makes the classroom come alive! I usually bring in actual examples of my prior or even current work. I volunteer for an organization that needed help with writing their mission statement. Recently, I had one of my classes tackle this challenge and found that the students really enjoyed the exercise. They were even competitive with one another which made it fun. It got me to thinking about how many organizations--especially non-profit organizations need extra help that a class can provide. I am in the process of identifying some real life opportunities with several organizations.

IT IS REALLY HELPFUL TO GIVE THE STUDENTS SOME REAL WORK EXPERIENCE. I FIND THAT WHEN YOU EXPLAIN SOME OF THE THINGS OR EXPERIENCES YOU HAVE HAD THE STUDENTS REALIZE THAT EVERY ONE HAS HAD SOME CHALLANGES IN THEIR PROFESIONAL CAREER. THEY REALIZE THAT WE ALL HAD TO START AT THE BEGINNING AND WORK UP TO THE PROFESSIONAL ABILITY WE HAVE ACQUIRED AT THIS TIME. THEY ALSO GET A CHANCE TO LAUGH AT SOME OF THE OBSTACLES WE HAVE HAD TO OVERCOME OURSELVES. THIS HELPS TO RELEIVE SOME OF THE TENSIONS OF THE NEW EXPERIENCES THEY WILL HAVE AND LETS THEM SEE THAT NEW CHALLANGES CAN BE MET AND CONQUERED.

Hi Carol,
In reading your forum responses in every one you talk about the instructor as being human and getting to know the students. I can see that this is somehting that you real strive for with your students. Keep up the good work. Instructors are human beings that have worked in and earned their living at the career field they are teaching. The students should know that the instructor is sharing his/her experience with them in order for them to enter into and succeed in that career field. This caring and sharing helps to develop rapport with students and will keep them motivated to complete the training required.
Gary

WHEN RELATING LIFE EXPERIENCES IT BRINGS THE INSTRUCTOR AND THE STUDENT CLOSER TOGERTHER BECAUSE THE STUDENT REALIZES THAT WE HAVE HAD TO UNDERTAKE MANY OF THE OBSTACLES THAT THEY ARE NOW DOING.THE STUDENT FEEL THAT THEY CAN ATTEMPT TO DO CERTAIN PROCEDURES AND BOT BE AFRAID TO TRY.

Hi Eula,
Well said. You are giving them the benefit of many years of experience that they would not be able to get until they themselves have spent many years in the field.
Gary

I always try to relate real world with the classroom, I use phrases like "would you talk to a patient that way?", "think about how your patient feels", this seems to change the way they think. Adult learners really want to know how what they are learning today will affect what they do when they finish school, it they can't imagine using it at work they aren't going to pay much attention to it in class. When this happens, I show them how or when they might use it in the field and remind them you might not use this right away, but a certain point in your career you will need to know how to do this.

Hi Annie,
Great tie between the student world and the real world. The reason the students are in school is to enhance their career opportunities and this sometimes they forget. By reminding them that you are sharing content and experience with them that will be used in the future helps them to see a future at the end of the training.
Gary

I too am new to the formal teaching experience but I have over 25 years of experience in my field and when I share stories I just see the students light up. I sense a connection with the students and it just feels like they are more eager to learn. I agree that it seems to motivate the students curiousity.

Hi Stewart,
Great comments. That is what teaching is all about. Getting that connection between you and your students. It also helps your students see you as a professional with all of your field experience and that you are willing to share that experience with them. That is what keeps you going back to the classroom each day or at least it does for me.
Gary

Thanks Randy. Sometimes experience is the best teacher. My students need and appreciate that kind of teaching as well.

I try to use real world experiences to keep my students interested.

This is the most powerful tool we teachers have to offer our students. Students want and need to hear of our experiences in the field. I find it eases my students' fears about particular curiosities they may have within themselves.

Hi Heidi,
We as instructors have to always keep in mind that we are SMEs (Subject Matter Experts). We are such because we have years of experience in our fields. By sharing this background information we are establishing ourselves as such. Through this sharing we are also creating rapport with the students and this is critical as we and they progress through the course.
Gary

I agree I am very new at this also,but have 25 years in the field,but have noticed when i tolk about real world experiances with the students the questions start to fly.This makes my job as an instructor so much more enjoyable to see the intrest from them.

Hi Sidney,
You hit upon a good point. You are a subject matter expert (SME) with 25 years of experience that is why when you talk about those experiences your students start to ask questions. As you know they are wanting to know what it is "really" like out in the working world. From your comments it sounds to me like you are also well on your way to becoming an instructional delivery expert (IDE). Keep up the good work.
Gary

Your approach is like mine, I relate real life stories that apply to the content of the class. Students can see how their new knowledge applies to real life.

Sign In to comment