Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What ratio is best, in terms of instructor demonstration/student lab participation?

I find it challenging to determine the best split between demonstrating/discussing subjects, versus letting students jump into "uncharted waters" in their lab time. My class deals with music theory/production, and most of my students are are "square one", with little or no prior experience.
Any ideas?

i have found w/"square one" students they like a little more structure. mostly to build confidence in what they are about to undertake. split the class time into a workable period w/review, new material, and lab time. make sure that the review is taken seriously. some of the students may be embarrased to ask questions. i have found it helpful to have quiz's almost every class period...they don't have to be long, but enough questions to get the point across. this get's the class into the frame of mind that they have to study and know the material. this will also help w/their theory because they have to use it every class...regardless.

Hi Gregory,
I have found that a mix of both structure and "jumping" into application works well. By giving the students structure and/or specific activities to perform they can get comfortable with the course requirements and then use their newly acquired knowledge to solve problems or situations.
Gary

In my field, audio production, I find that students must struggle with the technology/concepts to get it. There's no other way. My field is a "doing it" field.

I realize, however, that students can (no, make that will) get frustrated and become discouraged. I watch like a hawk and jump in when needed. Each student (class as well) has their own peculiar threshold so of course it veries from person to person.

Dan.

Hi Dan,
Thank you for the great comments and ideas in your forums. You covered the various module topics very well. Sounds like you have a very clear idea of the type of teacher you want to be and are making great strides in getting there.
Keep up the good work!
Gary

Dan,
I agree with you. Sometimes you just need to let the students just jump in with both feet but yet you need to be there to help when they hit their ‘threshold.' (I like to call it baptism by fire) Some students can immediately apply what has been discussed in class on a project; others seem to do better with trial and error. I believe that in some of these technical fields that there is no way a student can have a true understanding without the hands-on experience. For instance, if you have never flown a plane before, someone could tell you everything there is to know about takeoff, landing, and straight and level flight. You could then pass a test with a 100%. However, I doubt your first flight would be successful. There is just no substitute for learning the feel and control of the pressures present against the control surfaces of an aircraft.

Hello Gregory,

In my early days as an instructor, I was so rigid, and worried about covering content in the a time given, that many times, I would go over time, and have non left for lab. Eventually, I found the right mix of lab/theory for each group or students. In general though, because most of the topics that I have to cover can be detailed, I let them get started right away in the practical, and they love it. As they get into areas where they need help, I'm there to direct.

Andrés

I think it really depends on the type of course youre teaching. I prefer as many labs as possible but wont have students do any labs until i have at least lectured the material first.

Hi Eddie,
Many instructors find that by blending both lecture and lab together from the very beginning of the course the students become much more engaged in the learning process earlier. The listen, see and then do. This cycle is repeated throughout the course and the students get to practice what they have learned over and over. This helps them take their skills to another level as will be required by their career field.
Gary

After you have been with your students a while, you gain an insight into their different learning styles. Some students will need more hands on demonstration and others can learn by listening to lecture. You really have to balance it out to benefit everybody.

Hi Lisa,
Right you are. This is part of the fun of teaching. You get to try different approaches which will appeal to different groups of your students. Each approach will focus on the learning preferences the students have and will make learning easier. When you move to another delivery method the students with that preference will have an easier time of acquiring the content. Then the students by working together can help each other with the entire learning process.
Gary

I believe it not only depends on the course but the subject within the course and the students themselves I like to put them in the self discovery mode if I can.

Sign In to comment