Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Putting on a persona

I think teaching is a bit like acting. It's really important to have confidence in the classroom and sometimes you have to "fake it until you make it." I think it helps to think of it in terms of putting on a persona. Who are you when you teach? Ask yourself "Who do I want to be when I teach" and then be that.

Hi Stephanie,
As the old saying goes "All the world is a stage" and this is true for teachers. From the minute you enter the classroom until you leave the for the day you are in a sense "on stage" as a model, motivator and manager for your students.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

Be careful on this one. If you are trying to be someone you're not, the students will see right through this and not trust you. Building up trust is, to me, extremely important so the students are more likely to listen instead of mistrusting or ignoring you.

Don't get me wrong. Having confidence, a positive uplifting attitude, and control is crucial to have when communicating with the class. So even if your personal life is in conflict or turmoil, never bring it to class.

Hi Craig,
An instructor has to be honest and respectful with all students. To be anything else will cause untold problems.
An instructor is a professional and must act like one. The students will respect a professional. An instructor has to also develop rapport with students if they are going to be successful. By sharing professional background experiences the students can see that they have someone with information/content that can help them achieve their career goals.
You are right about leaving personal life at the door. Even though it is hard to do, it has to be done. This is the sign of a educational leader.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

Craig,
I understand what you are saying, but I believe you can achieve both; create a persona and build trust. The persona is who you chose to be in the class and the trust comes with technical competence and strong presentation skills the instructor possesses.
Example:
Part of my fist day introductions to a class I tell them that "I am cruel and evil and I stay up late at night thinking of cruel and evil thing to do to my students." That is part of the persona I adopt in the class a kind of a Dr. Jekyll -Mr. Hyde. The class trusts Mr. Hyde he is steady and consistent but they really enjoy and look forward Dr. Jekyll because he provides learning opportunities with his cruel and evil ways.
I know it sounds crazy but it works.

I mentioned in a previous forum that we are human beings with human emotions. We make mistakes and are not perfect. The students appreciate honesty and appear to be much more comfortable in the classroom setting with this awareness.
We must however, exude confidence and poise, fairness and directness and interest and passion towards the materials we are presenting.
Being sincere and interested in the student's past, present and future well-being...one can never go wrong following this rule.

Hi Laurie,
You make a very good point about being caring and interested. This shows that you are truly a professional educator.
Gary

In sports there is an expression that athletes use before they start a game. Its called putting on your game face. Teaching is like putting on a professional game face or persona as when I would walk into a classroom I would put my books down on a desk and that's when the game began. I thought of myself as Brett Farr and would assume his winning attributes.

I beleive that i learn something new every day and i have by reading the Brett Farr game face explination.I see others as well as myself put on a game face every day ,I was not awear of putting on a persana.This is good...

Having some small degree of acting ability has been crucial for me to keep teaching successfully. I have had anxiety in past instructions and I have found that when well prepared, remembering that I am on stage and I should have fun with that, has helped me pull through.

Hi Charles,
I like your last sentence about having "fun with it". Do have fun with it. You are offering your students an opportunity to create a future for themselves by taking your course. Engage them, entertain them and help them to grow. In the process you can be that actor that is hidden inside of you so you can impact the lives of individuals that are under your influence for this period of time.
Gary

Sign In to comment