Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Delivering course content

When planning the lesson I often feel a particular movie would be helpful in facilitating understanding of our topic area. However, I think that since students are paying for their schooling I should suggest the movie but not take up class time to present it. An example would be the movie "Crash" for a chapter about prejudice. Thoughts and comments? Am I off base here?

Hi Susan,
I think you are on the right track about making class time effective. I think the real issue is how much of a media form really fits into the class. I have used entire movies that have direct application that unit and I feel that I have used the students time effectively. In other cases I have used only parts of the movie or assigned it out of class. I have used songs in the same manner.
As a professional educator it is your decision in terms of how effective you are using your students time. This sometimes is a hard call until you have taught the course a number of times and you can measure the outcomes. Each time I teach a course I introduce a new delivery method, case study or something that helps make the course better, or at least I hope so. I measure the results and then decide to keep the new method or try something else, this makes teaching fun.
Gary

When I teach using movie media I have to take into consideration on the length, the content and the entertainment value. During a 5 hr class we can afford to watch an hour here and there. The content must be valid and I must be on the same page. And finally , it shouldn't be boring, maybe changing views and scenery occasionally. Sometimes I allow the student to watch while they work. Movies are very successful in massage learning.

Hi Timothy,
Good use of media. What you are sharing is that you have found a blend of methods that help you deliver content while engaging the students. This is a good way to keep both you and the students excited about the learning process.
Gary

I have found that using media to be a very valuable tool in the area of massage therapy. However, I have found that if the video is too long, it can become quite boring for the students, especially when they are ready to get down to business with hands-on work. Maybe I'll try the students watching the moving while they are working next time. Never thought of that.

Hi Kristi,
Something you might want to try when using movies in your instruction is to segment the movies. I have broken some of mine down into 15 segments, showed them and then went into groups for application. This way the students don't get bored or burned out on one type of media.
In all of your instruction you should practice segmental instruction. 10/15 minutes of information sharing and then activity. No matter what the learning styles are of your students the breaking up of the instructional period will be appreciated. In addition, the students will stay focused longer this way.
Gary

Hi Susan,
I think all instructors should incorporate more
movies and videos in class. Most students absorb more information when they actually get to the see the subject being presented to them. Movies may also be a good way to break the ice with cohort groups and give instuctors a chance to see who's mentally in class and who's not.

I agree with breaking up the 10-15 minute instructions with an activity. I find the students like the critical thinking that is envolved with case study exercise.

Hi all, I feel media can be a strategic part of class . It breaks mono person talk, plus it will show things it is difficult to present in class. A good  example of  this a surgical procedure etc.

Sign In to comment