Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Syallbi

The student syallbi is very helpfull for your clssroom it helps guide the student and the instructor.

I'd like to see some examples.

This is an area I really I want to work on and I am learning more as I go through these courses. I think it is a road map and the more instead of less you put in it, the more secure the students feel in the processes of the class.

I believe in the "more, rather than less" way of preparing a syllabus. But I sometimes wonder if the detailed information does not scare off a few students. Reassurance and encouragement will help as well.

Mitchel,
Hopefully some of the participants with share some examples with you. If not let me know and I will be glad to share some of my syllabi with you.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Iwayemi,
I think sharing all of this information will work out well for you if you are clear and concise in your preparation of the syllabus.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I think a syllabus will be helpful to keep the instructor organized as well and on topic

Terry,
The syllabus is the communication of the goals and objectives of the course in relation to the expectations, requirements and policies. It is essential to reduce student frustration and set the tone for the class.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

The student syllabus should be comprehensive and clear about what the students are expected to learn and do. A good syllabus should guide the students and make it clear what they are supposed to be contributing, and clear up any questions they might have. It should also make policies such as what plagiarism is, and other unacceptable course conduct.

We were told next term we could not hand out the syllabus . It was going to be on line . I am concerned this will be a problem for students and instructors.

Darcie,
You do what you have to do to meet the requirements of your college but I think I would prepare a one page handout with clear and concise information that the students need to know. This way you know they have received and you have reviewed essential course information.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Darcie we also have the syllabus handed out online now, often before the teachers have recieved it. This six weeks was our first time trying it. I wish I had printed something out for them. I printed a copy for me thinking they had already read it. I learned my lesson!

Sign In to comment