Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First day

As the Department Chair I can atribute 95% of all classroom issues that make it to my office to the lack of clear expectations of the first day. When instructors take the time to clearly define expectations rarely is there an issue down the line. I am a huge beliver in getting the first day right.

Hi Kevin,
A simple concept that sometimes is hard to get across to faculty. You have to laid out the foundation for students clearly and accurately. If not then problems will start to arise as the course progresses and probably will end up on your desk for resolution.
Gary

Agree, it sets the tone for the entire semester

The first day sets the tone for the entire course. The students can tell right away how far they can push and how fun this class will be. Setting goals and expectations will let them know what they are in store for.

Hi Jenny,
Right you are about setting the tone the first day. The students get to see how the class is going to operate as well as get comfortable with the setting. In addition a good start will help to reduce the stress level of both the students and the instructor.
Gary

I agree - to break the ice and to get everyone comfortable we played a game with m&m's. The students picked the colors that they wanted and each color represented something, favorite pet, dream job, etc. I think they responded well and it got them comfortable with me and me with them.

The first day for class is super vital important. my students get all of their course material on that day. Students who miss the first day usually will suffer throughout the course because they miss the assignments, homework, projects, team works, etc.
We stress so much that they need to come everyday- but especially the first one!

Sign In to comment