Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Constructive Criticism

In my field, students are required to demonstrate their knowledge in a practical application. This is done by working with "clients" in a public, realistic environment. It can be difficult to point out mistakes in front of others. Most students welcome feedback and direction, but occasionally I find students who get defensive and feel attacked or humiliated in front of their peers. I believe that instructors should work on the methods of delivery for offering constructive criticism. Some students appreciate a candid remark or a joking comment, but others may feel ridiculed. Is it better to address issues and offer criticism in a group setting or wait to speak to each student one-on-one?

Cliff

I think it would probably depend on the student. Some people do not mind constructive criticism in a group setting, while others will not take it as well.

Hi Andrea,
You are correct about accepting criticism. I strive to always provide support and suggestions for my students in a setting that allows them to make changes and progress without loosing face with their peers. This method helps me to retain rapport with each student.
Gary

I too have to give constructive criticism to my students in front on one another. What I tend to do is I will stop them from their practice and let them know what they need to do differently and then I will address the whole class with the mistake. I will not say "Jane did this" but, I will say " I have seen alot of you doing so and so and we need to do it this way. This seems to help the student understand that everyone makes mistakes.

Hi Sheila,
Nice approach. You are using two methods of bringing about change. One, for the student and two, for the class. You approach also allows your students to save face while still benefiting from your experience and desire to see improvement in their behavior and actions.
Gary

Sign In to comment