Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning students names

I really hate to admit that I have trouble with names, but I found that honesty is the best policy…. The first few days of class I bring self-sticking nametags and a sharpie pen so the students can write their names on them. I tell them upfront that I really have to work at learning everyone's name and that is why we wear the nametags the first two or three days. At first I thought they would absolutely hate it, but they didn't. They actually seem to welcome that an effort was genuinely being made to learn their names and I think it helps the students learn every ones name too.

I would have thought that the students would not have liked that too. Really, if you think about it, why should they hate it. I think I will try that one out next go around. Something I like to do is, I do have a sheet they sign for receiving their materials on the first day and as I take them up one by one I read back their name. I get two important things from this...1 I am reenforcing their name and 2 I am able to see if I can read their handwriting and I have an example of where I may have problems later.

Hi Alice,
Good approach. Anything you can do to quickly learn your students' names is to be commended. They are uncertain about how the class is going to go, so by you knowing their names at least they understand that they are respect while they learn about how you are going to conduct the class.
Gary

IT IS NECESSARY TO GET TO KNOW THE STUDENTS NAMES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE..WE HAVE A WAY OF GETTING THEM TO PARTICIPATE IN HELPING US TO KNOW THEIR NAMES. WE ASK THEM TO SIT IN THE SAME SEATS FOR ONE OR TWO WEEKS SO WE CAN RECOGNIZE THEM BY NAMEIT IS FUNNY SOME TIMES BECAUSE THEY SOMETIMES SDIT IN DIFFERENTS SIT TO SEE IF WE ARE LEARNING THEIR NAMES. THIS ALSO HELPS THE STUDENTS TO SEE THAT THEIR INSTRUCTORS ARE HUMAN ALSO.

Hello,

I must admit, I too have diffculity with remembering names in general. It's embarrassing to see some one again, they call you by name, and you are put on the spot trying to remember their name. This is just one of those "human short comings". For students, I feel it's the instructor's professional obligation to learn their names. What I use as a tool is word association, also when interacting... I use the student's name when ever possible. If I do forget I am honest and admit I forgot. But, I will work on improving (and I tell the student this) so the next time I encounter that studnt, or anyone I meet for the first time, I will not place my self in an awkward position.

Hi Irene,
Good advice on how to use a device to help with learning student names. It is a must and instructors can use all the help that they can get by knowing about "helps" that will get the names in their memories.
Gary

We have clip on nametags that the studendts are required to wear, but I am so bad with names I think putting their names on a little ent is a great idea.

only have the students 4 3 weeks... during the first 2 days of question and answer i have students give their name when called upon before answering question.

Our classes change every 3 weeks which really makes learning names difficult, I have found that collecting graded materials back fom them in alpha order helps me to get them down.

Our students wear name tags and i am crazy bad with names they look at you funny every time you have to look at there tag to remember the name.
So any other ideas for remembering would help me out.

only only have the students 4 3 weeks... during the first 2 days of question and answer i have students give their name when called upon before answering question.

Hi Rami,
Any cues you can use to help you learn students' names is good. The sooner you learn their names and start using them the quicker you will start to develop a higher level of rapport with them. This will serve you well even if you only have them for the three week period.
Gary

Names can be very frustrating! I have found that I recall names better when I use the students' last names, since there are many times I have multiple Brittanys or Sarahs in class. The students think that it's funny, but after a few weeks, they start using last names too!

I will have to admit, I am terrible at remembering names. I am aware of the importance of learning the names of the students. I know I need to come up with a system to do so. I know there are many ways to try to help ones self to remember and have used many to try to remember names with not much success. Once in a class room I hope to develope a way that will work, since I am new at being an instructor. I would like any ideas that could help with this.

Hi Robert,
Have the students introduce themselves the first class meeting and give some important detail about their lives, reason for being the class, etc. Make a note of this information beside their name on the class role. This will give you a connection to each student. Also, greet each student the next class period and try to connect their name with their face and one of the important items from what they told the class last meeting. These multiple connections will give you a way to remember their names.
Gary

This is a great idea that I will be incorporating in my next class

Sign In to comment