Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Day One

I've just start my second semester teaching the same course. This time around I got there in plenty of time to get everything setup and ready to greet the class. this included arranging the desk so that I could see everyone, hooking up projector for powerpoint presentation and getting all of the other supplies organized for my class. I even had all of my students wear name tags for the first day and was amazed that I remembered all of there names after day one. The start of this semester was definitely alot easier than the first one.

Hi Randy,
Glad to hear the good news about your 2nd semester start. If the class starts smoothly you can then focus on developing other methods of involving your students rather than trying to put out fires.
Gary

Practice and experience helps!!

Same here. I was frantic (but did a good job) my first semester. Now, after six or so years, I cruise. I don't even get nervous anymore.

Dan.

Hi Dan,
See, experience does help. Now you are a pro. Keep up the good work.
Gary

The name tags are a great idea! I have the hardest time myself remembering all the students names. I will definitely use that tool myself.

Thanks, Randy

I totally agree. I will try that as well. I also like hearing why the students are taking this curriculum. What their career goals are etc. I find it fascinating the different life experiences that bring them together to take these classes.

I like the name tag idea as well - we've done the name cards that they put in the front of their desk area. I also make up a seating chart as we go through introductions. That helps me alot!

Sign In to comment