Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

how should you present yourself?

Is it better to start with the students introducing themselves to the class , or yourself first?

Hi Cedrick,
It is always good to start with yourself. This way the students learn two things, one information about yourself and two the format that you want them to introduce themselves within.
Gary

In the class that I teach, I introduced myself and explained a little about myself, for example, I informed them of where I have worked first, and the relevant positions to the field, then the process of my education. I used humor to acknowledge one key ingredient and that warmed up the group then I said ok, tell me about you. I flowed without a problem. I was glad that I had remembered my most fun classes.

Hi Shirley,
From the points you made in your forum response it sounds like you have the right combination of personal information, professional experience and humor to engage your students in your class. Keep up the good work.
Gary

FIRST I WOULD INTRODUCE MYSELF. THEN I WOULD GIVE A BREIF BACKGROUND OF MY EDUCATIONAL LEVEL. KEEPING IN MIND THAT PROFESSIONALISM IS VERY IMPORTANT WHEN MAKING A FIRST IMPRESSION ON NEW STUDENTS.

Hi Eula,
You are right about first impression. You have to establish yourself as a creditable professional tha has something to offer to your students. By talking about your education and work experience you show them that you are prepared to offer them the training that will help them to move to the next level in their career development.
Gary

Lead by example, and establish an alpha dog position. Let the class know that you are there to share what you have learned, and also emphasize that when a teacher teaches, two people learn. By setting this idea down in front of them, you are signaling that their knowledge may be of some benefit to you as well.

HI Robert,
Well said. You are the leader and you determine how well the class is going to go. By modeling and motivating you will help your students to enjoy success and a new career. That is the reason they are there in the first place to change their lives and you are helping them to do that.
Gary

This matter has always been a question for me. How is it suppose to be?. Should we just briefly describe what we have done and let the students judge for themselves? or should we go ahead and talk about all the GREAT,AMAZING and UNBELIEVEABLE things we have complished. I remember from my own instructor back then when i was a student. It kinda sounded like, well.. it was not a modest background at all.

Hi Omer,
In my home state, Missouri we have as our state slogan "Show Me" and I think this applies to your question. As the instructor I think you should highlight some of your background and experiences. There is a fine line between sharing and bragging. It sounds like you had an instructor that didn't know the difference. I believe if an instructor turns the introduction process into a bragging session then the students get turned off as well discouraged since they will feel they can't measure up. Keep it basic and keep it factual and you will do well.
Gary

You first always imo

I always introduce myself to my students first. They are in a cohort and already know each other. By them getting to know me first, it starts the expectation process. They get to know me and my background so they have an understanding of my professionalism. This way we get off on the right foot and can start the learning process.

Sign In to comment