Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Setting Expectations

How can you facilitate an understanding on the part of your students of what you expect of them?

You tell them, you show them what you expect. There is nothing worse than assuming that they know. How could they? They've never had you as an instructor.

If you require a high level of professionalism, you must show them a high level of professionalism. If you require that they be on time for class, you must never be late. And the list goes on and on...

Leading by example is the greatest instructor in this situation.

Setting up an introduction and or orientation session on (or before if possible)the first session with a new class is key in setting the standards for your class. One important element is to let the students know what your requirements are. This must be done without being critical of any other instructor. Students usually know about you and your expectations from other classmates.

As stated lead by example. Understand the student population that you are providing instruction to, as each class is different.Be willing to adapt to the learning style of the class when necessary to get the topic across.

You have captured the essence of what it takes to be an effective instructor. With the practice of professionalism being the constant to which students can strive then both the social and skill development of students will take achieved.

The key thing that you have captured with your comments is that of being able to identify the personality of each class. As you well know each class takes on it own personality, with mixed results. Some classes naturally become a learning community and instruction is made easy. In other situations it seems that each class is a challenge to bring the class together and focus them on the content. Being an adaptive instructor will enable both groups to learn the skills and content required of the field.

I manage student expectations by being very clear with regard to everything from their classroom behavior to standards of performance. In addition, I attempt to develop rapport with each and every student to ensure feedback so I can alter instructional style and as necessary content. And finally I make every attempt to "practice what I preach" (i.e. model professionalism).

I am sure that your students really enjoy having you as an instructor. Based upon your comments in the various forums you are an instructor that reflects the 3Ms of teaching, modeling, motivating, and managing learning for all students. Good luck in the future.

I believe everyone's reply has hit the nail on the head... Lead by example. In your dress, your speech, and your actions. Be honest with your students and expect the same.

Relate you expectations to the world "outside of school" expectations. They came to learn and get a career, be the example of a model employee.

Hi Joe,
You are right the discussions have hit on the major parts of what it takes to develop yourself as an instructor. Isn't it amazing how often instructors forget the most common sense parts of teaching? As long as we keep in mind that we are models, managers and motivators we will continue to grow as instructors and professionals.
Gary

Once again you have delivered a target statement. You are correct that your students have come to learn a set of skills that will enable them to start a new career or up grade the one they are in.
Instructors need to develop a way in which they can introduce their “real world” experiences in such a way they these experiences are relevant to the class and don't become “war stories” that are used when you run out of material as an instructor.
Gary

In teaching adults, we have an interesting job for setting expectations in that each students is there because they have a preconceived idea of what the course has to offer and signed up for it for that reason. And often they are correct and focused! But the tone of the course and how it progresses is set by the first day.

So, in relating, very specifically, my expectations by presenting the course syllabus, grading procedures, text, a discussion of the format the course will take (lab, lecture, homework, group efforts, etc. ), and the expectation that any homework will be completed prior to class, I try to ensure that the student's ideas for what the class has to offer and how they can achieve success are in line with mine.

Al,
You have followed the steps that will help eliminate misunderstandings and confusion on the part of students. By laying out the requirements at the beginning of the class you then can reinforce these requirements throughout out the course. The students may say that you have not covered the requirements or assignments, but the proof is always there with the syllabus and handouts. This way you focus on accomplishments rather than constantly dealing with complaints.
You have a good approach. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Being a professional role model for students is the best and easy way of demonstrating what you expect from them.

Hi Amer,
You are right on this point. In addition, you need to have a professional development plan for yourself to insure that you are constantly growing in your expertise and skill as a instructor. Improvement in instruction will only come when there is knowledge of how improvement can be made. Keep on learning and growth will come as well.
Gary

Well I usally start by going over the coarse outline and discribe how each one will be checked. Most of my polishing class is handon and the means of getting to the final finish is different to everone. so I uses alot of one on one. I use each person's stroke and pressure to explane the problem they may face by using one why over an other.this is all distribed in the first class.

Hi Joseph,
By letting the students know from the very beginning of the class what the expectations are and the work that they have to do to get through successfully you have set goals for the students. By using the individual approach you are enabling the students to learn within their comfort range while developing the their skill in the area of polishing.
I am interested in your comment about each person developing his/her own stroke or pressure in polishing. In your field is this a characteristic of a top polisher? Do student develop stroke and pressure skills that set them apart? If so it sounds like their work could be recognized by finish polish they put on their work? This would be if you will like their signature.
Sounds like you have many challenges as an instructor as you facilitate the development of the expertise of your students. Keep exploring new ways of presenting the content and skill development and you will do well in the classroom.
Gary

Hi Gary,
Yes this is a characteristic of a good polisher. Like alot of thing you need to be constain with how you do a part because in most job there are more than one piece. So I find if a person has a soft push or a short or long stroke.Does not make them bad for the job and you don't have to change there style. You just need to show them the steps they may need. compaird to a person with a different style. People seem to want there class be do it just the why they would.In my area I can let the class be them self to start and then through problems they have use that time to improve there way. They seem more excited about there out come.I hope this help answer you question?

I feel that all of these replies are good. The idea that making yourself " a model of professionalism" is very important to setting the tone of the class. You must be clear and concise about expectations and course content. Having info about your students helps,too. In the school that I teach in, we can get the student info in advance, so that we have a little bit of knowledge to work with before hand. You need to establish yourself in a way that the students feel comfortable with you, so that they will be relaxed and more able to learn.

I believe the best and most important is to have a course outline and share it with the students along with a verbal explanation and finish with a Q+A session .Also it is very important that all students are briefed in what the school expects as to safety isues.

Sign In to comment