Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Joseph,
Thank you for the answer. You helped me in understanding more about the type of instuction you offer. You have a great challenge to instruct the students so they can develop their technical skills, while refining their own style. This is a lot of responsibilty--Good luck in your effort.
Gary

Hi Gary,
As with everything you do in classroom you want to remove the mystery from the requirements. By having both in print and verbally the requirements of the course the mystery had been greatly reduced. The Q&A then reinforces the requirements through explanations and examples.
Gary

I have found that going over the personal reasons that each student is attending the course and their background, and then reviewing the syllabus and expected course outcome tends to set an example to the class that we are all there for the same purpose and that we will be intentional in the coursework required. I feel this helps everyone in the class to become familiar with delivery mechanisms, the process of learning, and to take personal ownership of their course outcome.

Steve Preston - Instructor

By discussing the course content, the syllabus and just having the discussion on what is expected of them. Remind them of the goals you have laid down of the class as well as the time frame they have to complete the requirements.
After discussing the syllabus have students sign the document and give them the opportunity for questions concerning the document.

Hi Steve,
You have hit on what I believe is the real key to setting the stage for success in classes. Students understanding the expectations and then helping the students to develop a sense of ownership in the course. Once they “buy in” to what you are trying to do and how your course can help them with their career choice you have them. Granted you may have to remind the on occasion about the goals that they have set for themselves, but for the most part you have them engaged in the process.
Ownership is the key to everything. In a recent study they found that individuals that owned their homes took better care of them. There's a surprise! We all have to attach a value to something we are doing, if we don't then there is no dedication to the effort.
Knowing the personal reasons for being in the course gives you a real strong base upon which you can build a relationship that will assist in keeping the students in the class. You are right on course with your efforts.
Gary

I start by asking each student what they hope to get out of the class, then they get an outline, the sylabbus, and we will discuss if there is a subject that is not covered , what will happen, some times there is time to add this material and sometimes we suggest an additional class that would touch on those subjects. Getting the expectations for the class from both the student and instructors perspectives allows better class flow.

I start by going over a quick synopsis of the course. The time lines for each chapter and simply explain what will be expected or required of them at the end of each session.

Hi Barbara,
No one likes surprises especially when they involve a major part of ones life, like passing a course. As you mentioned you cover the expectations of the students at the beginning of the course. By blending the expectations of the students, with your expectations for them you have a combination for success. You and they must be on the same page concerning outcomes. If the are not clear what it is that your want, nor how to achieve success in the class then the class is doomed from the beginning.
In your planning and during the first few class meetings if at all possible it would be great if you could give the students problems, case studies, situations, that would enable them to experience some success early but also illustrate to them how much they have to learn during the course. I have found this gets them motivated to learn, while letting them apply their skills early on in the course.
Gary

Hi Jason,
The way you start the course is a good one. This way there are no surprises for anyone. . By blending the expectations of the students, with your expectations for them you have a combination for success. You and they must be on the same page concerning outcomes. If they are not clear what it is that your want, nor how to achieve success in the class then the class is doomed from the beginning.
In your planning and during the first few class meetings if at all possible it would be great if you could give the students problems, case studies, situations, that would enable them to experience some success early but also illustrate to them how much they have to learn during the course. I have found this gets them motivated to learn, while letting them apply their skills early on in the course.
Gary

Be an exellant role model. You can't require professionalism if your unprofessional.

Hi Ken,
It is exciting to be around professional educators that take their role seriously. When you are looking at a professional role model what are the elements that you are looking for and how do you apply these elements to your role model development?
Gary

After discusing the course goals and objectives and other parts of the syllabus, i would first discuss to the class what they should expect of me and that would cover me as being the model, manager and motivator. For this commitment i make, i will expect, in turn, a commitment on their part to fulfill everything expected of them such as following the rules and regulations of the school (attendance, etc), doing the assigned homework and coursework,studying each lesson, participating in class activities, etc. By making good on my commitment to them, the students will eventually realize, if they haven't already, that their success in the course will rest not in me alone but also in their being able to make good on their commitment.

Leading by example, as most posts have stated, is definitely a way to display what you expect of your students.

State your expectations initally... by being consistent and firm in implementing the policies and guidelines of your school and classroom procedures your students will have no question as to what's expected of them.

Hi Juan,
Thank you for those comments. It appears from your narrative that you cover the basic requirements of the course with the students and give them a clear picture of what they have to do to succeed.
The as you say it is up to them, realizing that they always will have your support of their efforts.
Gary

Hi Iesha,
Instruction is basic common sense in many ways. The problem is we often forget that point. You are right instructors have to lead by example. If we don't take leadership one of the students will and at that point the class is lost. There are many different ways of demonstrating leadership in the classroom, and we need to be on constant lookout for new ways of demonstrating leadership that is positive and supportive for our students.
Gary

I believe you can facilitate an understanding on the part of your students of what is expected of them by communicating your expectations the first day of class. I think the instructor should verbalize the expectations, as well as, document the expectations in the syllabus. The students must know that the expectations are attainable.

Also, it is important for the instructor to maintain professionalism throughout the class term.

Hi Tammy,
You are following the steps for successful teaching. Letting the students know what is expected of them, providing them with documentation of the requirements, and then reminding them throughout the course of the requirements will keep them on their toes for completing the course requirements.
You might want to spend a few minutes at the beginning of each class asking if there are any questions about the upcoming assignments. Often you will find that there is a misunderstanding concerning the assignments that has grown into “urban legend” status and this can cause many problems within the class. By keeping on top of exactly what is required rather than what is thought to be required will help you move the class along.
Good Teaching.
Gary

Dear Gary, I rely upon the syllabus and the course outline to initially let the students know what is expected of them. This intro is followed by a Q&A session. All school policies are then reiterated. I stress to the students that I will work with them, BE FAIR, and help them to achieve their goals. The roles of model, manager, and motivator really enter into setting expectations!

Hi Brenda,
You have captured the beginning of your courses. Inform, inform, inform. You are taking the mystery and/or surprise out of the requirements of your courses. I am continually surprised at the number of students that at the end of the course say “You never told me this was required” and you point to the syllabus and course outline, “Oh but I did”. I have found it helpful to revisit throughout the course the requirements, in two ways, what we have done and what we are going to be doing. They get to see growth and also the challenges that are coming.
Gary

You can facilitate this understanding by being as specific as possible about what you expect in a clear and concise manner. I believe the major areas of interest to students are:

1)Why are they required to take this class?/What this course will contribute to overall knowledge of their field?/How will they use this class in the "real world"?
2)What is expected of them in order to pass the course (attendance, graded assignments, class participation, etc.)?

My first day of class is devoted to easing anxieties by clearly defining course content, how it relates to the students' chosen career, and how they are expected to perform in order to pass the course.

Sign In to comment