Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First day rituals

When I have a new course start, or the first day, I like to hand out the syllabus, classroom rules and any other pertinent information necessary for the course. I then like to take a few minutes to introduce myself so my students have a better understanding of who I am and what they can expect from me. After that, as a bit of an opener I have the students join in by telling everyone just a few sentences about themselves. It shows interest on my part, and I think allows the students to become more comfortable with each other. I would really like to hear some ideas other people might have about their first day rituals.

Hi Tammy,

Sometimes depending on the size of the group and the course, I would have students go in groups of 2 and talk about themselves to another student. The twist is the other person will introduce you and you will introduce the other person. Most times the 2 individuals paired together will have a continued connection for the rest of the class. It is always interesting to know what interesting facts people remember about you and what persons think is interesting about themselves.

When I have a new course start, or the first day, I like to ask the students a little about them self and why they choose this field of study and any work backgrounds that may be applicable.

In addition I ask the students why they decided to return to school at this time. Also I take the time to summarize the real world applications this course could lead them to for a career citing past graduates field of employment.

I really want to know what they are thinking and feeling.

Get to know their learning style.

That sounds really good. I plan on doing the
same thing when I start my first class myself.

Brandon,
I know you will like the results you get from doing these activities.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Tammy,
We have done this same activity. We have also done a "team bonding game". We divide the group into two teams. Both teams stand on opposite sides. A group of questions are then asked. For example..."Whoever has children go to the other side of the room". Students may change sides of the room. "Anyone that has a pet, go to the left side of the room". "Anyone who is older than 25 go to the right side of the room". It generates conversation with the students and lets the students realize that they have a lot more in common with each other than first thought. Breaks the nervousness of the first day. Sometimes we forget that the students are just as nervous and scared the first day as we might be.

Oh wow, I really like this! I don't know how well it would have worked with my class, though, as it's extremely small compared to any other class I've ever taught. I did class introductions, and talked about my background to get things started. As we finished with the the introduction rounds a bit early due to the class being so small, I opted to hit them with what I described as a "very serious question" that would have a great impact on things: "As I'm new in town, I need each of you to tell me who has the best Mexican food and why you think so." It really relaxed everybody and loosened up the day one mood. Which is good, as day covered the oh-so-dynamic topic of late medieval to early Renaissance architecture.

Christopher,
Nothing wrong with having a little fun in class as well as helping the students to relax and see their learning leader in a different role and that is someone that likes good Mexican food. This brings in the human factor and lets the students see you as an individual rather than just a teacher.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Is their a concern about sharing to much or being to personal with you student to quickly. I don't want to to brag of my experience but do want to show my skills and share a little bit about myself. Any thoughts on how much to share of your experience?

Nate,
If you create an outline of how and what you are going to share with your students you will start to see what you are comfortable with sharing with them. You may want to talk about your education and how it enabled you to get employment and then experience in the field. If you can tie your life experiences to examples in the course and how they connect to the real world the students will appreciate the expertise you are bringing to the classroom and lab.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I also cover the syllabus and do introductions. In addition I ask about background information pertaining to the subject I teach. It not only helps me know if they have a writing background (I teach screenwriting) and where they are sorting "starting" from but it allows me to make them feel comfortable right away if they have no background. I make it a point to tell them that is ok. And the last thing I do is engage in some kind of fun activity related to the "best" part of the subject so they are sort of excited and rallied. For my subject of screenwriting it is of course movies. So I ask them their favorite movies and why.

Teresa,
Fun and informative way to start off a new class. Helps answer student questions, gets them informed about course requirements and they get to talk about their favorite movies which brings in the personal touch as the class concludes.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I also like to play our quarter's theme song. A song we will identify with for the entire term. I create energy, enthusiasm and get the curious on how the theme song connects to the class content.

I normally do icebreakers for the first day! Sometimes I pair my students up and I make them pretend they are introducting a guest speaker to the class. Once they are introduced I ask them a few questions about their short term and long term goals. I also ask which teaching technique is the best technique for them to learn things.

On the first day I usually introduce myself and share some of my background, but stick to the basics of job experience and maybe a hobby. I think that sharing a little bit of the personal side helps to keep the students from seeing as you as just an instructor. As the course unfolds I share more as I tend to use personal stories of my time working in my field as examples.

Sign In to comment