Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

introduction

is it best to have a new class introduce themselves in a group to feel more at ease

Kristie,
Have the students introduce themselves individually and share some information about themselves such as where they are from, what their goals are and why they chose this career field. Then you can do an ice breaker for fun and get everyone talking with each other. These activities help the students to get to know each other a little bit and get them settled into the course while they are getting to know you. Then you are ready to start covering the specifics of the class and sharing the syllabus. A nice a way to start off a new course with everyone feeling good about the first class meeting.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

How you introduce yourself helps too. If you make it fun and share some goofy stories(making yourself more "human" and easier to connect with), I think this helps set the stage for individual introductions. I try not to pick topics that may make people seem "better" than others... so just stick to simple, generic info for day 1.

Somen,
It is important to send a clear message about the human factor as an instructor. Knowing they have a caring and dedicated instructor that is going to be their learning leader is a good way to get the course started off right.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Kristie = Hope all is well. I have used more than self-intros, the following: Divide the class into two groups and have them form an inner and outer circle with students facing each other. Students in the inner circle have a list of questions to ask their partner in the outer circle. An example of a question (besides the name) is, "What was your favorite subject in high school?" After 30 seconds, the outer circle rotates one person to the right. Repeat the process asking different questions on the list. In a short time students will have the opportunity to meet several students in the class. This, I believe, is more effective than the self-intros.

First I introduce myself and show examples of my work and briefly explain how it is relevant for the course. Then I have the students introduce themselves and tell everyone what their program is and a little bit about their experience in the subject area. I then can identify for myself who might need a little more one on one attention if necessary. Then I have them choose their group members for a long term project.

I agree with you, Somen. I like to introduce myself with a silly or goofy story, I feel it "breaks the ice" with the students and laughter always makes for a good connection. I also have the students do a quick introduction and add anything interesting if they would like to share.

I actually introduce myself last. I feel since I have the experienced career and life, that they will remember who I am and once was, so they won't be intimidated to ask questions.
That's my theory any way. Lol

Julie,
This is a good way to get a class going. I do the same because I want to get the students talking and exchanging information with each other right from the start. Then I can talk about my experiences as we wrap of that part of the class, kinda like a summary if you will.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment