Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

syllabus

Is it acceptable to use a previous instructor's outline and modify it to make it your own?

Tara,
This is very common. There is no reason to reinvent a course outline if it is well developed. Use it and as you say make it your own by imposing your strategies and personality on the content.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

That's great! I'm lucky enough to follow a really good instructor and she has a good course outline and syllabus.

Tara,
Good for you. This is a great way to get started.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I used a previous instructors outline first and it was very helpful. After going throught the course the first time, it was then easy for me to see where I wanted to make changes and what areas that I felt needed to more instruction than others.

Amanda,
As a new instructor having a course outline gives you a foundation from which to develop your own strategies. I am excited for you about your professional growth as you are already working on how to make the course your own the next time around. I wish you continued teaching success.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

I beleive it's acceptable to use a previous instructor's outline and modify to make it your own. As long as the modification doesn't change the end result, meaning the critical learning objectives are met.

Robin,
I agree. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel. Use what is available and personalize it based upon your own teaching style. This saves time and enables you to concentrate on refining the course.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

This is a great suggestion to customize the syllabus to my teaching preferences, Thank you.

Sign In to comment