Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Adhering to the Syllabus

The purpose of the syllabus is clearly stated in this module and the syllabus once created needs to be adhered to. Sometimes it can be tempting to make changes but that can add to confusion for the students. It is important that all the students know that it is to be followed and they can therefore know what to expect each and every day before attending class.

Hi Alyson,
You forum response is what makes the syllabus so important. It is the document that outlines the policies, expectations and requirements of the course. The syllabus is what you use as a reference point throughout the course phase and thus it has to be clear and comprehensive.
Gary

I too believe in the importance of the syllabus. However I also feel, as an instructor of a culinary program, that there are times when an oppertunity to add to that outline arises and I need to take it. I have had classes of very fast very dedicated students that finish a daily lesson in record time. In this situation I find it is the perfect time to add to the syllabus and give them recipes out of the text that are on point of the lesson for the day. This way they get a chance to expand on the lesson and not feel bored.

Hi Judy,
You are right on with your comments about the syllabus. It is a guide and when there needs to be changes that is fine because you can never anticipate the dynamics of each class session so you need to be able to add or subtract content as needed.
Gary

I think you are right. They syllabus provides the guideline or road map for the students. Based on the class and the environment, it may be necessary to adapt the syllabus to meet the needs of the class.

For example, you may have a class that is working very well and meeting the objectives quickly. There may be a need to adapt and provide additional content.

I like to call this the "Need to Know, Should Know, and Would Be Great to Know" concept. In any course, you must always get to the "need to know" information. The "should know" information can be peppered throughout the term depending on how the class is progressing. The "would be great to know" information is items used when the class is finishing quickly, or there is a lag in the day.

Hi David,
I like your formula for learning. The three areas you list are right on. As instructors we would always like to get to all three but with different classes and student dynamics that doesn't always happen. By knowing what the content is for the three you can comfortably work within the three and move the students through them if time and their knowledge base allows.
Gary

Hi David--I'm so glad you brought that three-pronged formula into the conversation. I am currently finding our culinary Math class a challenge. The content is fine, but the math skills of our students are so varied. I am beginning to wonder if I am actually teaching three different classes at one time. Atleast 20% of my students need a very strong foundation in basic math skills, but they have barriers, learning or other. At the other end of the spectrum are the students who finished trig and calculus in high school. They also must somehow be engaged in the process, but frequently are impatient with our challenged students.

My essential challenge is finding ways to keep all engaged and focused on the learning outcomes. The "need to know and should know" are the focus. The other "would be great to know" could possibly be the carrots for the advanced math students.

You've given me something to think about. thank you.

Janet

I agree that it depends on the class or ability of the students you have in the class.
There are times when you can supplement activities or add extra work to keep students challenged.

Sign In to comment