Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tests and Keys

Maybe many or most of you do this too, I will actually take the test that I'm to admister before I give it to the students. (they are premade tests that never change). Usually we have 5-7 tests in period of 5 weeks. I try very hard to do it well ahead of time as I'm preparing lectures. This really helps me to 1) find errors! 2) know what points really need to be highlighted for the students and 3) determine the level of difficulty. Then I check my answer ket with another instructors answer key. I have found when I've slacked off on this, I had more errors in my grading of tests, and not as good of lecture and information to give the students.

Hi Sally,
Thanks for sharing the strategy that you use in using premade tests. Your method eliminates many of the hassles that come up with using test like this. Nothing changes when it comes to being prepared. If you are prepared you will be at ease in terms of being able to anticipate upcoming questions and problem areas.
Good approach.
Gary

I take my own tests before I give them to my students. This way I try to catch mistakes and make sure the question makes sence. I do not always use pre-made tests, at times I make my own material.

Hi Sheila,
I like your approach of blending both provided and developed tests. I use this approach as well. In addition, I teach a number of my courses through the project method. Students in these courses are assessed through their work on completing case studies or problem situations which are tailored to the students and their developmental needs for the career area.
Gary

oooo..thanks for that...that should help me alot XD

Hi Sally,

I too take the tests ahead of time. I also go through my entire session lecture outline and make sure I highlight the testing material so I know it gets covered during the session. I also advise the students that I take the tests before they do and that I am explaining the materials needed. I find that if I come across a topic of confusion during the session, I can better focus on alternatives to enhance their understanding in the classroom before they take their tests. This has increased their understanding of what is expected and I am better able to be prepared.

Sally,

I completely agree with taking the test ahead of time. In addition to occasionally finding errors it helps me prepare for questions/concerns the students may have.

Thanks for your input.

Schawn Pedersen

Hi Sally,
I have done this with homework assigments as well as tests. It really helps me focus on key points and get an understanding of the flow and accuracy of information provided in the text.

I do not take the test before I give them but I do always reveiw the test, my test are preprinted and some times are changed with out notice with teaching different clases i my not see the test for a month or more always double check mnitz

Sign In to comment