Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

lecture or demos?

how long are your students REALLY paying attention during a lecture? also , would somebody consider using instructional DVDs?

Hi Cedrick,
A lot depends on the individual focus of the student, but the average focus time for an adult is 15-20 minutes. At that point they need a change to enable them to relax and refocus on the next requirement. In planning your lectures you should look at mini-lectures and then activities. In courses that last for several hours this is a must.
Gary

I have found that my students pay more attention to my lectures when I encourage them to particpate more in the discussion of the particular subject. I also seem to get more of their attention when I use Powerpoint or an overhead projector.

Hi Andrea,
What you are experiencing is the typical struggle that occurs between the mind and body of a student. Human beings like routine, since time, same seat, etc. while the brain is constantly looking for variety. It is a challenge for educators to keep a balance between the two. By offering different delivery methods and changes of pace you can keep the students engaged. You might want to strive for 10-15 minutes of content and the application and then back to content. Mini-lectures help to keep the students involved with content acquistion and the application.
Gary

I think that using dvd's can be a benefit if the material is interesting.

I think it is up to the instructor to evaluate the attitudes of the students to determine if things need to be adjusted. It is a relative situation based on course, # of hands on activity, level of aptitude of students and many other factors play into it as well.

Our culture has become so "let me watch it instead of reading" the book.....
We are becoming a "fast food" generation of people getting "instant" information, gratification, and results that we have forgotten what it was like to read a good book, enjoy a play - not a movie, and sit for a sunset, not watch a hurricane ripping up a state. If you put together a healthy ballance of lecture, hands on, and Computer Based Training (CBT)'s I think the result would surprise you.

Our brains aren't being challenged to solve complex problems because we calculate on a device, factor our wives ovulation on a computer, and adjust our nights out to who is being kicked off the "island" on Survivor. Focus the little A-D-D student minds on slowing down to process the information, and appreciate it.
I think I'm starting to sound like my father, and he was born in the 20's, 1920's that is.

Hi Robert,
An intersting study recently found that many teenagers don't want to camp or be outdoors. The reason being they didn't want to get their sneakers dirty, too hard to clean. The fact they missed many enriching experiences was beside the point.
Point is we have to work to make sure out students are engaged and not just side line participants. For sure their new career won't let them just observe they will have to do. Our teaching stratgies must include creative ways of getting them active in the learning process.
Gary

I agree - especially with my night students. I'll lecture and then ask questions -- to find out the student is in la-la land! I really try hard to mix it all up, so I'm not talking too long. It seems though that sometimes that isn't even enough! I"ve found a cool interactive program for my field of teaching (anatomy and physiology) that breaks things up a little.

Hi Sally,
Many of us teach later in the day and as a result we have tired students. We have to constantly be doing something that keeps them engaged in the process. By doing what you are doing I know you keep your students motivated and moving, key components to learning.
The old saying "variety is the spice of life" sure applies here.
Good luck with your teaching.
Gary

Hi Cedrick - YES and YES to instructional DVD's. I found something pertaining to what I teach (anatomy and physiology) - it's a very cool instructional DVD that breaks up what I am saying, and gives them a more up to date visual than the book or transparencies....They seemed to really tune into it when I used it.

We find that a mix of teaching methods and media helps to keep the class from becoming stagnant (boring). Different students learn best through certain approaches. We find a mix, sometimes covering a subject matter in different ways helps everyone according to their ability to receive in a particular format/style.

Hi Christine,
The old saying "variety is the spice of life" applies here. Your comments support the fact that human beings like change in way that challenges them and does not threaten them. Well said.
Gary

Most of the curriculum we teach involves skill development and restoration and building techniques which require experiential "hands-on" learning. Most of the people we are training are technicians and craftsmen. Holding them in a lecture is torture. We evan split up the drafting exercises so they can get back out on the shop floor. Their learning needs are definately on the far side on classroon. We make lectures out of field trips and lumber runs, and other applications like survey reports and developed contracts. I was told once that of all the learning methods reading, hearing, seeing a demonstration, and doing - the average person will remember a larger percentage of what they do. This is certainly true of our constituency.

Hi Clark,
You make a good point about direct application for "hands-on learners". Instructors have to give these types of learners the rationale for what they are learning and show them the way. It sounds like you all are constantly looking for teachable moments. That is what career college instruction is all about.
As for learning retention, research shows that in 24 hours people retain 25% of what they hear, 40% of what they read and 70% of what they do. That is why your students want to learn by doing most of the time.
Gary

Andrea,

I find, particularly in lecture-structured courses, that the students enjoy and get more out of the material presented if they are part of the discussion. A total lecture based class can become boring no matter the subject.

Group discussion after approximately 10-15 minutes allows the students to be sure of grasping the information before continuing.

Practical application of any lecture is fun and the students really participate and learn by hands-on application. It is awesome to see their creativity.

When I teach Project Management, after working through the tutorial and pre-planned lessons, I tend to go outside of the printed text and bring real-life experience into the classroom.

As a final project, I have my classes research pricing, materials, labor, etc., to remodel the classroom that we are using at that particular time.

They are amazed at the costs involved; so it is a win/win situation. The students are seeing the cost involved and thereby understand the viewpoint of the Administration when requesting all type of items for classroom--some of which are approved and others not because they are too costly.

Hi Barbara,
Good comments about how you deliver course content. Your point about using local setting to get the students to use their newly acquired knowledge (remodeling the classroom) is a good one as well.
Gary

I try to mix up my lecture with demonstations, and lots of actual components to pass around the room. So when they are being lectured to about a certain car part, they can hold and see the part. I try not to let them have more than one hour of "seat time" in a row, with out getting them up to show them something related to the lecture in our auto lab. Also, to make them pay attention, I always ask questions about lecture material, taking turns around the room with who has to answer. Luckily my auot tech class consists of about 40% lab time.

Adding on to my last post...we actually have several short videos of demos shown in the class. DVD based and VHS based. Some filmed in house.

I have found that a few of my students do not "get" the hands on demo unless we do the lecture first, even if it's boring to some, it gives them a heads up of what to expect. Most of my best lectures come to groups of 3 at a time in the lab with hands on and ears open, too many students do not work well. You do have to repeat yourself alot thou. Aaron

Sign In to comment