Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Handouts are great!

I work at a massage therapy school and there are not always a lot of books available to choose from as potential texts considering some of our course content can be a little esoteric. We often use handouts (from trade magazines, websites, etc) to supplement our teaching. In fact, some of our courses are built around handouts, manuals, and charts and don't even have a required text. Handouts are an important addition to our courseware!

Hi Stephanie,
Handouts provide you the instructor as well as your students with the most current thinking and/or applications within your field. Textbooks are great as resources, but the typical development time for a textbook is 5 years. This means that from writing, rewriting, editing, and final copy a period of time as lapsed. Many field are changing so fast that this time lag would dictate that you provide handouts to supplement the basics that are covered in the text.
I have my three hole punched, along with a cover(card stock) listing the current time and name of the course. My students then are given handouts throughout the course phase so they can build their own set of resources during this time. When the course is over they will have created their own "mini" text that they can use when they are in the field. Also, as you know this method lets me made changes in the handouts each phase if I so desire.
Gary

I agree too. I create handouts for each topic / chapter so that I can help the student indentify the concepts or topics that are important to our class. And, as someone just mentioned, it helps me in class as well, so that I don't forget something or get side tracked. It also helps when preparing for a quiz. Items from the chapter/book that have made it to the handout are the first items I put on a quiz. Although I still may put a few things from the book that are not on the handout, so that I can see if a student is reading the book or not.

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the input on the forum about handouts. They as you mentioned are a ready source of current material. In addition, I have found that they are not only informative but they give a sense of relief to the students. The relief is that is appears to be much easier to read a handout that is several pages long, rather than entire chapter in a text. It is all in their heads, meaning if I give them 120 handouts they equal a chapter, but by giving out the information in seqments(handouts) the reading doesn't seem as much. They like the distrbution of reading is my point.
Gary

I also agree with having sufficient handouts. I make it a point in the audio engineering and production field to provide handouts of articles from current trade magazines involving new techniques, breakthrough technology, industry trends and market changes, the more traditional subjects of interest as portrayed by well known experts in the field, and excerps from other books that support the goals of the course. By using current industry information, the student gets a feel for what to expect and what is expected of him in the field in the near future.

Hi James,
Thanks for your comments about handouts. I think each instructor should have a folder that they continually insert handouts into as they read current literature. I know I have a folder that I carry with me and I am always popping articles from various sources into it. I then organize them for use as I prepare my next phase's course. I find that the students really appreciate the handouts from sources other than their field that supports the training they are receiving. These handouts give them a wider world approach to their field.
Gary

I too like handouts, but I have used them more as worksheets. They are handouts with topics and some general information but with space (not just a fill in the blank) so the students can fill in important information as we talk about the day's topic. This started out of a need to do something to augment power point and the silly power point print outs of the presentation. It's too easy for the students just to sit there when the handout they have is of the power point presentation. Making a separate worksheet helps to keep (forces) them involved with the material. I find partially completed illustrations or graphs that the students have to finish are helpful.

Hi Perry,
Thank you for the comments about the use of handouts. You are right on target. They fulfill a major support need in the classroom. They can be supplied immediately if a new need comes up within the classroom. By developing and using handouts as needed you are showing your students that you are up to date with your instruction and want to supply them with the most current information.
Gary

I teach a songwriting/production class. We use three text books at this point. These texts don't have current enough information in some situations, so I find myself constantly searching the internet, bookstores and libraries for new ways to explain old things. I don't believe you can have too many resources in the form of handouts. They give the students another place to learn, and possibly motivate them to look for themselves.

Hi Jeff,
The thing I like about handouts is that they can be made current. As you indicated there is constant change and textbooks can't keep up.
Question, for you. What are the major uses for your handouts, example information, worksheets, exercises, etc.? I am always looking for new ways of using handouts and helping students to see the value of them.
Thanks
Gary

Yes! Handouts are great especially when adding to the general course materials and for instruction specific to one's own facility, course, classroom, etc.

In my highly technical field, general concepts apply but each facility is very unique.

Dan.

This is great input about handouts. When I have used them, it seemed to add interest and depth to the learning experience. I teach audio recording and using handouts, I find that I can branch out more on the subject, (i.e.: vintage audio equipment, history of recording hardware, cutting edge hardware and software, etc.) in a way that is interesting and would otherwise come across boring to the students.

Hi Stephen,
Good comments about handouts. The beauty of them is that you can control them, thus allowing you to use them in any way that you want. In addition, they are easy to change, add to or discard at your will. They are as effective as you want to make them.
Gary

I agree that other material can be valuable as handouts for students. There are a lot of medical magazines and resource books that have helped me in explaining different techniques to students. (injections, venipuncture. etc.) The textbook is good, but sometimes there are better pictures and better "wording" in other material.

Hi Lisa,
In addition to the good points you made about additional resources, I have found that students like the application of knowledge that they find in journals and magazines. It helps them to see that what you are teaching is for "real" and applies to their future.
Gary

I Love Handouts! Handouts are a great way to reinterate important points/skills without repeating lecture material over and over. Students really seem to respond better to a well organized handout than textbooks, even when the material is basically the same. Also when I can provide up to date statisics and research students realize that this imformation has relevance in the real world not just in the class room.

Hi Selena,
Good job with the handouts. I like to use them myself. It helps me bring relevance to the class as I cover the content. I use the handouts to support the text and activities I assign to my students. Keep up the good work.
Gary

I agree, I look for handouts or make my own for so many skills needed for pharmacy, especially the math concepts. They work!

Hi Sandy,
Good comments about handouts. I think handouts show your attention to what is current in the field and that you are on the lookout for the most current information for your students. The make good supplements to what is in the text and course content.
Gary

I have found that handouts (even if they are the same picture that are in thier books)can encourage the learning process. I use different colors to bring out parts that we are studying to put a permanant picture in the mind.

Sign In to comment