Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Confidence

A well prepared instructor lends confidence to their students to accompolish their highest level educational goals.

Hi William,
Right you are. It is the least an instructor can do, by being prepared and organized. As a model an instructor has to model the behaviors he/she wants from students. To do anything less is to be unfair to the students.
Gary

Everyone needs to be reasurred that they are doing well in class. As teachers, we need to find the good points and dwell on them to help bring the students self-confidence better.

Hi Susan,
Sometimes I think we as instructors forget how important it is to make sure our students know that they are doing a good job in our classes. In addition, we need to develop ways of supporting our students that aren't doing as well. We need to strive to find little success points that can develop into major steps toward career skills.
Gary

Demostrating and challeging help biuld confidence and I agree that tell our student that they are doing well in their studies reenforce their confidence. Needless to say that we as instructors have to have high confidence. I believe that intrapersonal and interpersonal relation play a big role in help building confidence.

Hi Larry,
Your comments are right on. If you as the instructor appear to be disinterested in what you are doing for sure the students will be. We need to develop rapport with the students and then provide them with opportunities for success.
Gary

Absolutely! When you are prepared for class the 70 minutes seem to fly by. I find that students seem to participate more because they don't want to get behind and they respond in a positive way.

I agree. An unprepared instructor does a diservice to onself as well as to his or her students.

A well prepared instructor will be able to address more of the students challenges.

I try hard to come well prepared so that the students enjoy the lecture. I also try to break up the class a little by creating different activities to do throughout class time since I teach 2-4 hour lectures. They can get to be long classes, my goal is that we all gain something from our time together.
Amanda

It was years ago, but I distinctly remember how bad class went and how unprepared I felt when I had not prepared properly ahead of time. It has scared me into making sure I am ready for each and every class days before I actually teach it.

Students can sense when an instructor is not confident themselves-lacking in certain areas whether its knowledge of the material to how they present themselves. This can lead to students losing confidence in the instructor-lack of respect.

I feel that confidence is contagious. A confident instructor will transmit confidence to his/her students. The more confidence that transpires throughout the classroom, the better the learning environment, hence students are able to learn more. Confidence creates a positive domino effect.

Sign In to comment