Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructor as a role model

Having the opportunity to be a role model is valuable. You are nurturing someone who may be undecided on the path to take. Role modeling takes place when you first meet the students and continues on with every interaction. We want the role modeling to always be a positive one.

Teresa,
Well said. Being a role model is one of the greatest learning leadership opportunities you have as an instructor. Thank you for these comments on role modeling.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I agree that role modeling is one of the most important things an instructor can do. Many students arrive at college with exposure only to images of professionalism gained from entertainment media, inadequate to real-world expectations. Particularly in career education instructors have to "show how it goes" in addition to delivering course content.

James,
Well said. It is up to you to provide them with a realistic role model as to how to they need to dress and conduct themselves.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

it is impressed upon me every time I teach just how much I am a role model to my students. For all of them I am an example of what they might become as a professional and I take that very seriously.

Duffy,
Good for you and all of your efforts. Yes, you are a role model for your students and as their learning leader you need to be aware of everything you do from language, conduct and dress to the actual content of your field and how it impacts their understanding of what a true professional in their field is like. Keep up the good work and continue to impact the lives of your students as you are preparing the next generation to enter your field and this is an awesome responsibility.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment