Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Expanding Your Instructional Abilities

What are some ways you can expand your instructional abilities?

I feel that having better skills with the technical aspects of my presentation such as learning power point will help me in the classroom.

David,
This is how professional development occurs. The most effective way to expand your instructional delivery is to pick one area just as you have done and then set specific goals for how you are going to improve that area. Once you are comfortable with that area then move to another and then another. Before long you will have a greatly expanded skill set and be a master teacher as well.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think one of the best ways to expand your professional abilities is identify an area where you can improve and develop an expansion strategy. For example, if your strong suit is not formal lecturing, once you have identified that area, you may research development tools in the area of public speaking, communication, or lecturing to adult learners. From that knowledge, you can develop an effective strategy tailor made for you.

Sheniqua,
Right you are in terms of how to establish a professional development plan for yourself. The key is to one, have the plan and two, keep working the plan. By doing so there will be ongoing improvement and increased student engagement. Thanks for sharing this plan with us.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As a new adjunct instructor I often feel I am flying by the seat of my pants. Although with years of experience in both the technical and management aspect in the healthcare field, it is sometimes a little frustrating if certain resources are not available. I tend to spend hours at home searching for student materials to use in the class room to engage the class i.e. medical terminology.

Birgit,
This is one of the challenges as an adjunct. You are trying to provide the most comprehensive and current instruction in your field while maintaining your career. Preparing for even one class is a very time consuming effort but once you have these resources put together you will be able to focus on other aspects of your course when you teach it again. You have a great attitude of dedication toward your field, your students and your teaching efforts. Never lose this zeal.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Using powerpoint, simulation software and video are all tools I want to use to expand my instructional abiliteies. I want to blend the simulation with "hands-on" to reinforce and maximize student retention and learning.

Kelly,
This is a great goal to have. The more senses you can help students use the more engaged they are going to be in the learning process. Keep up this most worthy effort.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

By furthering my knowledge with teaching seminars and becoming better acquainted with new teaching methods and equiptment.

Willie,
Good plan for your professional development. By keeping something you are working to improve your instruction you will continually expand your expertise and increase your instructional effectiveness.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

There are several ways to expand your instructional abilities including keeping current with technology, software/hardware upgrades, as well as industry trends. Subscribing to industry-related magazines, blogs, twitter feeds, obtaining/maintaining memberships to professional organizations, attending industry-related events, conferences and trade shows are additional ways to expand your instructional abilities. Obtaining, maintaining professional certifications related to the industry or subject you are teaching is also a good way to expand your instructional abilities. It is also important to have a professional development plan that incorporates all of the above in addition to receiving training on educational theories, pedagogy, content delivery methods and attending in-service training sessions at your campus.

Crystal,
These are great ways to stay current in your field while expanding your instructional expertise. Having a plan for professional development is a must if an instructor wants to continue to expanding instructional effectiveness.
Thank you for sharing this list.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Listen to your students. What do they want to obtain from the course.

Diana,
This is critical information to have as it can help you shape the way you plan your instructional delivery and select content.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Continued learning and education will give you more tools to be successful. Also, reflect. After each class, take the time and ask yourself how it went, what went right? what went wrong? Did the students understand the lesson, etc.

Callie,
You make a key point about reflection after a class. This is such an important way to improve instructional effectiveness.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Birgit,
I feel the same way. I am teaching dental radiology which in the beginning goes deeply into the physics of x-ray production. This is a very difficult concept for many students to grasp and also difficult for me to convey. I have looked for resoures to help explain concepts to students of all learning types, but have found very little out there. What I find works best is to actually draw the steps of x-ray production on the board while explaining the process. Even using very detailed PowerPoints is not very helpful. Any suggestions?
Sandy

Speaking of stimulation, I have a class in the afternoon who just came from a four hour morning lecture and then lunch. I find several of them nodding off and a couple actually putting their heads down and sleeping. I do not think my lectures are boring as I have many students who engage. How should I deal with the students who "tune out"? My class is three hours. Should I give more breaks? I feel that one break of 15 minutes in 3 hours should be sufficient.
Sandy

Kelly,
These are all great resources to catch the attention of students with different learning styles. I find that you cannot know the learning style of each student, but if you teach to each of the learning styles by incorporating all the tools you mentioned, you will address the needs of each student. With difficult concepts, I try to use several ways of presenting the material and prompting them to use their critical thinking skills to put it all together.

Sign In to comment