Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructor professionalism

I have a few question's for Instructors that continue to conduct them self's in a manner that was acceptable in the field but is not acceptable in the classroom. Do you believe the students respect you? Do you manage your class by the professional guidelines your college requires or do you turn a blind eye to student professionalism in the class? If you do challenge students about their professionalism does it turn into a confrontation?

Instructor professionalism is something I often think about but don't feel I am effectively managing. I feel some honest and candid responses will help me understand what this type of Instructor is thinking and ultimately will allow me to educate the Instructor.

Hi Matt,
You ask a very good but complex question about faculty professionalism. In our program we have a code of conduct that we share with our faculty. They know what is expected of them and what their responsibilities are in relation to be models, managers and motivators.
We use observation forms and in class room visits to help the professional growth of our faculty as well. The observation forms are a real help in pointing out concerns related to professionalism. After the observation and with the completed observation in hand a follow up visit is made with the instructors. This way no one is singled out but everyone gets in put from the observations and forms to help with their growth.
Gary

Do you have any recommendations on what an effective observation form should entail, especially regarding the topic of instructor professionalism?

Hi Melanie,
An effective observation form should include all of the areas that your college considers needed by a professional educator. These areas could include classroom/lab organization, materials development, syllabus content, etc. In the area of instructor professionalism you have to be clear as to what you are wanting to observe. It can be things like appropriate dress for the field, starting the class on time, instructional supports given, interaction with other instructors, interaction with students before and after class, etc. All the things your college wants to see in an instructor.
Gary

If you relate personal experiences of you time in the field where professionalism has payed off in a positive way, I feel that you can get through to the students in a way they will understand. If you turn a blind eye to it you are creating a bad situation for all future or past instructors that do strive for professionalism in the classroom.

You must always conduct yourself as a professional. If you give into the students behavior they may act as though they respect you but will actualy have little to no respect fpor you or your possition.You will be seen as a stronger individual by following the rules and being consistant.

I agree with Richard. You must always have the standard of professionalism to fall back on. I believe that if you are consistently professional the respect that the student has for you will be enduring. As the instructor, that one student may remember you and model your behavior the rest of their professional life.

Hi Jon,
Showing the way to be a professional is critical to the growth of students. Anything you can do to help students to know what a professional is in their field and how to develop into that professional is a major part of being a teacher.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

Hi Richard,
Well said. You must be that model for the career area. This gives the students something to shoot for as they complete their training.
Gary

I have seen unprofessional instructors that pretty much give the students the free rein to act unprofessionally themselves. It gets real hard to get the students to shape up once they get into my class.

You first set the standard in your class as what your looking for in profession acting worker and how they get the better job and more stable jobs. Set the bar high and the students normally will obtain that goal.

Hi Kirk,
You make a good point about professionalism. When you have fellow instructors acting in unprofessional ways it makes it hard to work in such setting. Based upon you statement about shaping up the students once they enter your class I can tell that you strive to maintain the professional atmosphere that is needed for student growth. My advice is to not let the non-professional instructors drag you and your standards down to their level. Hopefully the college administration will catch on and help those instructors to improve or ask them to leave. What ever happens you know you have taken the high road professionally.
Gary

Hi Brad,
If the high bar you set for your class is based upon business and industry standards it is easier for you to explain why you have the standards you have. You are only asking the students to achieve the standards that will make them employable in the future. To do less is to short change them in their training and we all know they do not want that. It seems though at times they forget why they are in the program in the first place, so the complain when they are asked to work hard and progress in their learning.

Gary

I agree with Richard. As an instructor you must walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

I treat them like co-workers, as if we were at work. I don't talk down to them and I expect the same.

I myself put up with that same problem. By the time I see some of our studens, they have been free to do as they please. Unfortunately, some of those students end up paying a larger price by being suspended from school.

Hi Roy,
Sad isn't it when student performance leads to the student being suspended. Like everything else we need to work on early intervention and try to spot potential problems and keep the students included and making both personal and career progress.
Gary

Unfortunately there will always be behavioral differences from class to class. From my personal experiences it seems that the instructors that step below the line do so that the students feel like they are having a great time while in that instructors class. Later when, when that student has been in a class where the bar is held a professional level, the student will come forward and state that they realize now they did not get the education that they should have from the instructor that just let the students have a free for all. Hold the bar high, the student body will always respect you and what you have thought them in the end.

Hi James,
You make a good point about setting the bar high. In the career college setting we are there to provide business/industry level training and we must maintain that level or we will soon be out of business.
Gary

Matt,

I think the most effective way to get instructors to conduct themselves professionally is to lead by example. Also get the instructor to watch a class that is being conducted in a less than professional manner.

Sign In to comment