Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Absent students

I instruct for an accelerated program. So lots of information is coming at my students daily. We have a policy that it is up to the students to come to the instructor to find out missed assigments etc. Some do this diligently, others do not. I find myself wanting them to pass, so I often will just remind them of missing assignments, or late assignments. But, it is often more work for me, tracking students down to get their homework. Any suggestions? Sally

Hi Sally,
I wish I had a good suggestion on this one. I am like you in that I remind the absent students of what they missed and what they must do to catch up. I keep a record of the reminder contacts I have with the students so they can't say I didn't try to inform them of the missed work. For those that don't follow up I let fate take its' course. One of the lessons of life is that "you are responsible for yourself" when it comes to the real world. I have found that this approach will help the majority of students that miss to get with the program. Not to be hard (I want all of my students to pass) but I let the other students fail if that is there choice. That to is a lesson in life since when they are working and they don't come to work or do the job they get fired. It is easier for them to learn this lesson while in school rather when they are working.
Gary

Sally:

Yes I rally agree with Dr. Gary. " You are responsible for your self " is the good methods to keep the students in the class. But I used to call my student who is absent same day and try to find out the cause. If absence is due to sickness I used to ask the students for make up.
It helps a lot. I have a good retention of students.

I relly feel like each student is responsible for his or her self. I will try to talk to the student so we can come up with a solution. If the problem continues to exist we will take further action, which is not a good ideal.

I relly feel like each student is responsible for his or her self. I will try to talk to the student so we can come up with a solution. If the problem continues to exist we will take further action, which is not a good ideal.

I absolutely agree!

What we deal with in career colleges is significantly two-fold. The first side of things must be considered in the cognitive sense. Students must be able to facilitate presenting material in the evaluatory form to show that they have gained the knowledge required for the course. The affective side of things, or the professionalism, dictates that as you said, students are indeed responsible for themselves.

In that, there is a fine line between assisting and hand-holding. Reminding students of their obligations is acceptable; you are their instructor. Giving them the tools to complete the task is acceptable. I think the line comes in with deadlines and content of the returned project or assigment. These seem to be a bit more firm in the grander scheme of preparing the student for the real world.

Thanks!!

~Erich

Hi Erich,
Well said concerning the fine line between allowing deadlines to be missed and late work to be handed in. Career colleges are training individuals to be successful in their areas and thus they need to have an understanding of what the "true" requirements are of their work. This means for the major part being responsible and competent. We need to be firm on helping students to reach this level of competence. To do less is to short change the students. That being said we must also handle each situation on a case by case basis. This is where our expertise as educators comes in as we handle each situation.
Gary

One of the ways that the school I teach for has addressed the issue of absent students is to include minimal makeup assignments in the syllabus for the course. These assignments must be submitted to the instructor prior to the next class. They were developed to take at least as much effort from the student as there would have been in class attendance. If these assignments are not submitted by the end of the course, they create an Incomplete grade which can become a failing grade.

Personally, I go over my expectations for absenses and makeup assignments on the first day of class. I do have students who must be absent for work-related assignments as well as for personal issues like illness or family illness. I tell the students that they must notify me of their absense, preferrably in advance; but if that is not possible, then as soon as they can after the missed class. If I do not hear from them, I send an email to make sure that they are okay and that they understand that they have a makeup assignment. If they miss the deadline for submitting that, their grade is affected accordingly.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but these are adult learners and they know that there are consequences for their actions. Sometimes they just need a realistic reminder.

By the way, I have never had to fail a student for absence-related issues, so I feel this works successfully for me, the school, and my students.

Jennie

Hi Jennie,
I appreciate your comments about absent students. You have clear expectations and you spell them out. You also explain what the consequences are if a student does not meet a deadline.
I use the same approach since as you mention these are adults and are being trained to enter their career field of choice. I know I want my students to reflect well on how they were trained so that other employers will want to hire my graduates.
Gary

Forum 2-I teach medical assistants and attendance and participation is 10% of their grade. I try to stress what a hardship it is for other coworkers in a medical setting when one is out. Our college requires a 91% attendance rate each module and right now I am not meeting that with my students.We allow them to make up work for missed days,therefore often having little consequence in hurting their grade. I NEVER remind them of their need to do the work. It is strictly their responsibility to come to me and ask. In the "real world" poor attendance does not sit well with an employer.

Hi Lisa,
You are right about attendance and employment. The "soft skills" meaning showing up on time, working well with others, being clean and neat all factor into employment. 80% of the jobs are lost as a result of not having soft skills.
You are going to have a challenge as long as attendance is not tied to work completion. The incentive to attend is lost when they can make up work. I do offer various motivation things to get my students to both attend and complete work. It works for the most part well, but I do have students that do not perform well. Sad to say after trying many different supports they do not complete the program. It is based upon their personal decisions and discipline. Both of which as you know are tied to successful employment.
Gary

Sally, the first time I taught in a career college I was so exhausted from students who did not attend regularly. I found myself behind in grading and having to do extra work at night. I made a decision to stop because I was not serving their needs by not holding them accountable.

Hi Yolanda,
Good comments. I believe that we must do all that we can as instructors to develop rapport with our students and to help them succeed. The rest is up to them. They are adults, they want the training, they have career goals, and they are accountable. I set for my classes the standards of business and industry so their attendance or lack thereof will reflect on their career success. Sad to say, they may not make it in the course, but they made that decision, not the instructor or the college. I have had students drop out, think about it, develop some self-discipline and then come back with great success.
Gary

that was the right thing to do, all students must be held responsible for their own actions and the instructor being called the blame is not fair

Many of our students are adults and unfortunately because of other responsibilities are unable to make their education a priority. The intent and the right motives to improve self are there, but other life factors are more pressing. Classes that cater to adults would benefit from a detailed syllabus and student packet. These items should be handed out to the student on the first day of class. Examples of items included in the packet are worksheets, project requirements, assignments, due date sheet, required reading, and supplemental readings. Doing the above will take the burden off the instructor in having to remind the student of assignments. The student would know what is expected even if absent. John

Hi John,
Thank you for your input on working with adults. Your approach is an excellent one. I feel as you that I have to lay it all out for my students at the very beginning of the course, so they will know what is expected. They also will know what happens if they don't hit certain deadlines or attendance becomes a problem.
You want to be understanding of their situation and you can be. You are charged with giving them opporunities to acquire the knowledge and skills required of the career field. They will not be employable if they are not there and learning what is required. A key part of class management.
Gary

When I first started teaching. I always found myself trying to let the students know what they missed in class. It got to the point to were the students were not even concerned about the information or test that was missed. I decided that it was time to hold all students accountable for their abbsents. In the syllabi that is handed out on the first day of class. There is a statement saying that the students are responsible for getting any work that they missed. I have found that a lot of my students come to me and asked what was missed in class. The students also know that they have to always refer to the assignment calendar that is given to them the first day of class.

-Gerjuan

Hi Gerjuan,
By using the policy that you have you are helping your students to become responsible professionals. They have to understand that if they don't attend class there are consequences. By making your policy clear in the syllabus you have reduced any misunderstanding. Keep up the good work.
Gary

This is a great poem in response to that age old question "Did I Miss Anything?"? I think it really hits home what we can share with our students when they miss class. I like to share it so they maybe think about what they are missing.
http://www.library.utoronto.ca/canpoetry/wayman/poem5.htm

Did I Miss Anything

Tom Wayman

Originally from: The Astonishing Weight of the Dead.
Vancouver: Polestar, 1994.

Did I Miss Anything

Question frequently asked by students after missing a class

Nothing. When we realized you weren't here
we sat with our hands folded on our desks
in silence, for the full two hours

Everything. I gave an exam worth
40 per cent of the grade for this term
and assigned some reading due today
on which I'm about to hand out a quiz
worth 50 per cent

Nothing. None of the content of this course
has value or meaning
Take as many days off as you like:
any activities we undertake as a class
I assure you will not matter either to you or me
and are without purpose

Everything. A few minutes after we began last time
a shaft of light descended and an angel
or other heavenly being appeared
and revealed to us what each woman or man must do
to attain divine wisdom in this life and
the hereafter
This is the last time the class will meet
before we disperse to bring this good news to all people on earth

Nothing. When you are not present
how could something significant occur?

Everything. Contained in this classroom
is a microcosm of human existence
assembled for you to query and examine and ponder
This is not the only place such an opportunity has been gathered but it was one place
And you weren't here

Hi Valerie,
Good comments and the poem is right on target. I sometimes feel that when students ask if they missed anything by not coming to class as if I want to reply: "no, but thanks for asking, I just hold class for the sure enjoyment of talking to an empty room with empty chairs." Then these students wonder why they can't catch a break out in the work world when they are late or don't come in. It is simple the Golden Rule operates, the person with the gold sets the rules. Be there or be gone. This is a key part of helping our students to understand how important the soft skills are to career success.
Gary

Sign In to comment