Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree with tthey are responsible for themselves. They have to learn through trial and error right ? If they don't do the requirements, they won't pass.

Hello Sally,

I have had many problems with students who come in late or never show for a certain class. I have tried many times to confront them about this type of behavior in a job related atmosphere when they graduate. What I have tried that seems to work is bring in a speaker who is management from a company that has something to do with what your subject matter is. He or She can explain how important punctuality is.

I am often very frustrated as well with absent students. On our campus it seems they have many opportunities to make up the work. I seem to get more frustrated when students who are absent try to dominate my time during class while they are there.
I have one student in particular that not only is absent frequently, but also comes in late. When she does come in she constantly interrupts the lecture to ask questions about previous lectures and assignments. I have spent many hours nurturing her and that cuts my time with other students who have been to class.
I guess I am having difficulty breaking this cycle.

Hi Charlotte,
You have raised a common issue that instructors deal with. The demanding student and how to cope with them.
I would suggest that you ask the student that is frequently absent to schedule a time with you to go over what has been missed. Many times this extra effort on there part will cause them to not ask the questions since they have to ask them more on their own time. If they ask the questions during class tell them that you will answer those questions outside of class. Don't let them control the time or topic. Hard to do at times, but necessary if you are going to control the class.
If you nurture a student and help them ask something in return. A completed assignment, extra work, something to get them invested in the time you are spending with them. The point is they must invest something in return to get something. If they don't they quickly learn that you will do all of the work for them so they can miss when they want and still be brought to speed in the class. Very low risk behavior for them.
Hope this is of help to you. If you have an further questions please let me know.
Gary

I tell my students on the first day I get them that they must "help me help them". If they do not show up for class, I do not reteach yesterdays lessons and hold back the rest of the students progression just so that student can be brought up to par. That also means staying after class to help them. My after class time is for the students who are showing up but still may be having problems. For me to give those students that time they must show me that they are trying. If the homework is blank and they have questions, that tells me they are not trying and they just want me to give them the answers. Unacceptable! I want to see all my students pass as well, but how much help I give them is based on their efforts. If they spent alot of time working at it and are still having trouble, I will give them that same amount of time. I feel that is fair and the students of mine who show up and try feel the same way.

Hi Gary,
Sounds like you have high expectations and clear work activities for your students. If they try and put forth the effort you are there to help them. If they don't you are not there to hold their hands. Sometimes postsecondary students forget they are no longer in high school where they get chance after chance after chance.
They are training for a career and they need to put forth the effort necessary to acquire the knowledge and skills needed for that career. Keep up the good work.
Gary

I have an alternate plan for absences for our facility we have the absent students do reports in very much detail and has to be equivalent to the total of hours they miss in other words if the student misses 1-4 hours they have to do a type written report that has to average 1-4 hours it has to be in detail and supporting the report, ex: pick a system that is related to one of the courses that you would instruct and they would have to do a project, poster and written report in regards to the issue, they would also have to have footnotes, bibliography and resources as well. Hope that I could help or give ideas Thank you Mona Graves

Sally, in an accelerated program the students are on their own.

I too believe that students are responsible for themselves. I do try to give them opportunities to succeed, not everyone take the carrot. As long as I do my part and reach out I cannot be held accountable if the student chooses not to participate or submitt assignments.

One troubling aspect of the absent student make up work is if the rest of the instructors aren't on the same page. I can enforce the policy in my classes but if other instructors aren't it can be an uphill battle.

Tom,
You make a very important point. The college needs to be consistent with how this policy is carried out or it makes it very tough for individual instructors, though you can set you own policy and enforce it for your class to be best of your ability.
Gary

I find that I have the same issues. I teach a program with 2 other instructors and find that our styles collide on certain issues and attendance is one of them. I find that I just have to take time when I first get them and explain the "new rules" to them.

William,
That is always a challenge. I can appreciate your situation and how you are handling it. Students try to pit one instructor against another and if we allow that to happen then there are going to be problems throughout the course. I like the way you take your stand and inform the students of what your expectations are for "your" course.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment