Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating the young

One thing that I was surprised with my first attempt as an instructor was how unmotivated most of my young students (18-24 years old) were. Assuming that they would be very motivated after having paid a lot of money for the course was the wrong assumption. The field that they are trying to get into involves a lot of physical labor along with generally alot of long days. Everytime we would try to get into any physicl labor it was a chore just getting people to join in on the project. I'm also a parent of two boys and have already went through the teenage years with one and ready to start those years with the second so I have experienced from the home front. Does anybody have suggestions in getting and keeping the students motivated?

Hi Randy,
Working with yound adults is a challenge that takes the best efforts of instructors throughtout the world. It all comes back to seeking how we, as instructors can overcome the problems of imaturity and lack of focus. It is trite to say but a measure of success can be achieved through constantly striving to find a common ground of interest with these students. I have found that by understanding their issues, needs and outlook I can find activities and projects that engage them in the learning process for short periods of time. It is an ongoing process with varying results each and every time I teach the courses. An example is using the Jeopardy Power Point game I can generate high student interest. The game allows me to generate new questions all the time so the students look forward to coming to class to test their skills and knowledge about various subjects. I include questions about course content as well as questions related to their age interests. I will be glad to share the PP with you if you find this of interest.
Gary

Hi Randy,

I agree with Dr. Meers. I've asked other instructors how they involve students to raise the motivation levels. Jeopardy always seems to work with young adults. It also helps to use any kind of technology. If you can relate something to a video game or direct them to the Internet for more info, they seem to respond very well. I know it seems like going back to preschool, but I think young adult students need to physically move around whenever possible, like working with a team member or in a group, or even making presentations. Otherwise they just sit there and eventually zone out.

During my lectures I always ask my students a lot of questions. I don't immediatly give them the answers or the how to, but I ask "How would you do it?". I always say to them "Think about it!". Also no student can hide in my class. If I do not get an answer I will call on someone.

I've experienced the same scenario you described. Depending on the students involved in the class, I assigned portions of the reading material to the students to present to the rest of the class. It was interesting to see how quickly they became engrossed in the information when they were going to be responsible for presenting it to their fellow students. The class as a whole was supportive of each student as they presented, it helped them develop speech skills and promoted a lot of class discussion of the material.

Hi Kally,
Good strategy. By breaking up the information and assigning responsibility for certain sections you are giving each student a chance to share information and help others.
Gary

As a new instructor I am gearing up to teach my first class and trying to think of ways to keep the interest level up. The student presentation and the jeopardy approach are both utilized at my school and I think they are excellent methods.

However, I am concerned that I will create activities on my own that may not effectively "teach" the students what they need to know.

I think this fear is present because I already know the information and will not necessarily know if it was an effective activity or not untill it is too late. Anyone else ever feel this way?

Hi David,
Good question, very real concern. As a new instructor you will be trying many new strategies with you students, even those that are used by others will be new to you.
Something that I would suggest is that you have your students evaluate the activity once it is completed. When I try a new activity or assignment I have the students evaluate that activity by writing their comments on a 3X5 card (no names). Explain that the evaluation is for you and your future planning. I have always received positive comments about the activity. Meaning the student provide great comments about how well it went and what improvements could be made. After several times of evaluating such an activity I have it honed into something that works for all of the students. The students like to be a part of the process of improving the course. It has no risk to the students and will be of great help to you.
Gary

I always try to give them information so that their something in it for them and that normally gets their attention . If you get them to understand that they will get somthing out of the course that they can use to make money or use to better thier lifes then they pay attention a little better.

Hi Brad,
You are making the coming instruction personal when you make applications such as you are doing. This really does get the students engaged in the learning process. Way to go.
Gary

Sign In to comment