Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructional Style

The topic 1 module discusses Instructional Style in general terms; briefly mentioning "lecture style of instruction". No other instructional styles are listed or are discussed.

After reading the section I began thinking about my style of instruction, and could only determine that it was probably a lecture style, but one that is very interactive.

I am interested in examples/descriptions of other instructional styles, anybody care to offer?

Thank you for the Model, Manager, Motivator in Module #1. I think this is something we all do everyday but need to do more of. With my job I feel like a "cheerleader" at times. But without motivating others where would we instructors be. Everyone needs encouragement, me included.

Hi Jackie,
As you mentioned the most common form of content delivery is the lecture method. This method has many different variations that can be used in the classroom. Since the attention span of learners is very short (15-20 minutes) mini-lectures work very well. Content is given and then applied. Also, the use of demonstrations along with content lectures give the students a chance to acquire new information and then see how it can be used. I tell my students that they are going to get an opportunity to immediately use the newly acquired information. Intake--application.
Other forms of instruction can involve problem solving, group development and case studies. All of these require the students to spend time is discovery and then content application.
Gary

Hi Patricia,
Thank you for the kind words about Module #1. Yes, we all need encouragement at one time or another. We have to remember to reinforce ourselves sometimes. In our emotional force gets drained too much then we aren't of much good to our students. Keep up the "cheerleading" it is one of the fun parts of our job.
Gary

I have a syllabus for 16 classes. I begin each class with a specific humorous story related to the class topic.

Hi Michael,
When you go fishing you have to have the right bait. It sounds like you have found the right "bait" for getting your students engaged and excited about being in your classes.
Gary

I like to use personal experiences related to each topic if possible. Also, I try to get the students to relay their own stories or experiences. It gives them a sort of "vested interest" in the topic. Or at the very least, a common ground to start the class with.

Hi Jeff,
Good approach. When starting a new class as you know you are trying to create a learning community and get the students invested in what is going to come. With some common ground between all of you, you have a place to start.
Gary

I have found using personal experiences as an "icebreaker" or the "switch" that helps to turn the light on is extremely successful. When I start teaching a new class I try to ask each student what attracted them to this field and what was their reason for continuing their education. As the course progresses I try to continue expose the students to new forms of technology. In addition I have found lecturing briefly then working an exercise or lecturing with a visual aid, i.e. power point, keeps the class interested (especially the younger ones).

Hi Alice,
You are using a number of different methods of creating rapport with your students. Two things will keep students in the classroom, rapport and success. As their instructor you need to keep looking for ways you can help with both of these. From your comments it sounds like you are doing a good job with both. Keep up the good work.
Gary

A very useful reminder of the jobs we do in the classroom, daily.

Bill Adriance

I am thankful of the Module #1. I can relate to all of them. I work as a clinical instructor, and sometimes it is difficult to convey the message to the students. I like to talk to them sometimes as a group or individually to find out their opinions, make suggestions, or show/explain subjects either visual or explanatory

Hi Ruel,
Glad to hear that the module information was of help to you. I know you are going to continue your growth as a professional educator.
Gary

Sign In to comment