Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Buddy

when exactly can one be considered a buddy?

Hi Franklin,
The answer to this question lies in the perception of the students. You can be a friend to your students, meaning you can support them, encourage them and instruct them but that is the limit of where you can go.
You can't go out drinking with your students as an example. I attend celebrations for my students, like marriages. I do this to show my personal support for them. These kinds of activities are seen as highlights in their lives and not a form of hanging around with students. The key is to be seen as a professional that cares about students in such a way as to support and encourage them.
Gary

Franklin:
Dr Meers offers an excellent response, and it is
one that is reflective of my classroom/teaching experience.

In his response he mentions "student's perceptions". An interesting point that is related to your question- "when exactly can one be considered a buddy?"- is that the "when" can vary by student due to differences in their perceptions.

Some students seek out additional time/attention of instructors..during breaks, before or after class; as a way of establishing a rapport with the instructor. I always do my best to insure that these contacts are course or career related, and that if they involve personal discussions initiated by the student that my interaction is perceived as being caring and supportive; no more-no less.

Interestingly enough, some students perceive even this level of interaction/attention as confirmation that we are "buddies"; and it is easily recognizable in these students.

This level of "buddying" is really all about the students perception and needs, and has little to do with the instructor's behavior or attitudes. Dr. Meer's response accurately addresses instructor actions and attitudes, but I have also found it important to recognize that some students want, need, and attempt to establish a buddy relationship-reagardless of instructor actions and attitudes; and some perceive even minor degrees of additional attention as confirmation of that relationship.

HI Jackie,
You comments about the "buddy" situation are well stated. We, as instructors, never know how certain students will preceive our comments or actions. Instructors strive to be fair and equal in the treatment of all students, but some students want more than that to help them pass the course. It is obvious that you have seen a wide variety of students in your experience and can quickly sort through the different approaches that students use to get an "in" with the instructor.
Gary

Hello, Jackie,

I agree with you and the good Dr. this is my first teaching experience, I always wanted to teach, that is why I sought my degrees, it became so clear to me on the very first class, about the fine line of being accessable and approachable and being buddies, which I find to be a roadblock to learning. When I was a student which was about 3 months ago, there were "pets" in some classes, it was clear to everyone but the teacher and the "pet", I am taking this course to become better, thank you for your insight. I want to know the best way for a new teacher to establish raport in the class room and in an attempt to not be overly friendly appear aloof.

As a new teacher, I find myself constantly resisting the urge to have a class 'pet'. It's easy to connect to the one or two students who really go above and beyond in the classroom environment. I teach 2d design, which involves a lot of group critique. I've tried using the comments of some of those 'pet' students to spur discussion among the others who seem reticent to speak. In that way, I encourage the ones who participate readily, and invite the others into the conversation.

Hi Casey,
Good way to involve everyone. Something I have done in these situations where group critique is involved is to create student panels for the critique. This way the panel (3-5 students) each has to contribute to the critique. This gets all students participating without undue pressure being put on them to volunteer. They know they need to share comments as a member of the panel.
Gary

Sign In to comment