Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructor Style

What might be some ways to engage students in basic science applications outside the classroom with regards to a two year professional degree? I am looking to have them experience the need for such knowledge as it applies to their careers and the health of their clients.

In response to your question/comment. I try to faclitate discussion around text material so students may understand its application. However, this is not a replacement for basic knowledge from the text or for the course. Assessing student knowledge of content is evaluated through testing so they cannot escape by simply sharing. My goal is to enhance their comprehension not substitute scholarship.

Timothy,
This is S Wallis forgive the wrong response to your guestion. Im not sure how that response to another instructors question was entered there , I made a mistake!
I have pondered your question and would leave it up to the students. Make an assignment for students to pick one of the areas you are studying and to discover ways they may apply that knowledge to their every day life. They could then report on it in one of the following class periods. We are trying to encourage them to think so this may make the exercise easier for you and more challenging and engaging for them.

Hi Timothy,
I don't know if something like this would work, but I have used it in basic science courses in community colleges. The students could study transfer of germs and then do a walk about throughout the campus and collect samples from certain sites. These sites could be door knobs, desk tops, etc. I have found that this transfer application of basic science is well received. The students get “into” the collection process as well as analyzing the results. They seem to enjoy the “ick” factor as well (meaning when they find out how many different kinds of germs are out there on everyday items). It is an eye opener in terms of disease control as well as demonstrating health issues that will be of concern to their clients.
Gary

Hi Susan,
Career colleges are dedicated to comprehension and application. Students must have comprehension of what their content area is about and be able to apply the skills that the field requires. You are doing both through the instructional methods that you are employing.
Gary

For activities outside the class room, I ask the students to bring some salad vegetables, wash them in water and look for worms and worm eggs in the water. I like the impressions on the students' faces when they find worms in the salad vegetables! This practice made them believe in what they have learnt than just know the fact. I doubt if any of them will eat unwashed salad vegetables.

Hi Mahmoud,
Great idea! You are using a practical everyday experience to illustrate how your course content will help your students. As you say they will be careful next time they prepare vegetables.
The key to a good instructor is to realize when you have a teachable moment and then use it. With your activities you are doing it.
Gary

We operate a two year accredited career training program in yacht restoration. One of the challenges we face over the two year period is keeping the students aware of the context of what they are doing as it will relate to their future career. Some of the things we are using include guest lecturers from the industry, field trips to the industry and also related institutions. What else would you suggest would help with this element?

Hi Clark,
Your program sounds very interesting. I enjoy remodeling and restoring old homes, so I can appreciate your efforts with yacht restoration. Much of it has to be very technical and skill based. Your use of guest speakers and field trips are very good. A suggestion for keeping student interest over the long haul would be for them to develop their own career portfolios. These portfolios would be developed throughout the training process. The ones we have the students develop include digital pictures of work completed, write ups on skills developed, etc. When the students start to wear down we take some time to review the portfolios and this really helps the students to see how far they have come. They are then ready to focus forward and get back to their skill training.
Gary

Dear Gary,
Thank you for the response. I like the concept of using the portfolio items to promote individual progress. The portfolio items they are required to complete include: photo documentation of restoration projects, lines and construction plans for three boats, hand made tools, a half hull model of the project boat they restore, hull survey report, complete contract and business plan, labor estimates, materials accuisition sheets.
-Clark

Hi Clark,
I am very impressed with what your students have to do throughout their training sequence. I am sure that they have extensive content in their portfolios. They have tremendous amount of information to show potential employers. That has to impress everyone that looks at their work.
I set deadlines for portfolio import to keep the students working on keeping their portfolios up to date plus it gives them incentives to complete their work so they can enter the information/pictures, etc. into their portfolios. This helps them see the progress they have and are making, back to keeping their interest up.
I need to plan a visit to your site, it sounds so great and interesting. As I mentioned I like to restore old homes so anytime I see people working with refinishing and restoration I am there. My home is 140 years old so I know I have a lifetime of work just to get everything done on it. It is my therapy.
Gary

Being a nursing instructor offers "teachable moments" on a daily basis. It's a major resource for clinical instruction. Last week a patient had a minor but negative reaction to a prescribed medication. It was not the students fault, but she was devastated. Lots of post-conferance time was spent on this event. Dealing with what's to be done in in this situation, and for the students not to blame themselves for events that occur, over which they have no control, offered a major teaching opportunity.

Frank

Hi Frank,
Great example of using a very real situation to make a point and create a teachable moment. It is for sure that the students will never forget the situation and will strive to always be on top of their game when working in their field.
Gary

Sign In to comment