Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivator

As an instructor, in learning, I find that some students often want to "put the cart before the horse" as it were, when what should occurr is a step by step approach that will leave them informed and hungry for more. I take a step by step approach, and find that it really works in my field of study.

Hi Timothy,
In our culture we tend to rush everything, including learning. Everyone is seeking the end result when in most fields we must work through the steps to get the end results. Instructors need to develop exciting components for each step, thus getting the students to fix on each step that leads to a sequence that enables them to complete the “big picture” of learning.
What are some of the things that you do to keep your students engaged in learning the step by step content required for your field?
Gary

Gary,

I explain to them that not everyone is going to be working at the same pace,
and that learning isn't " a contest." A step-by-step approach works well because it
includes everyone, eveyone on his or her own and alows for input from other class members,
the retracing of the steps, just in case you don't "get it" the first time, and it seems to put students
more at ease and more interesting in learning.

Tim

Hi Tim,
Well said. Step by step makes sense, allow students to see the sequence and helps them gain the needed content at each point along the way. In addition, they can “step out” if they need to and refresh, review, and retain any information they may have missed in one of the steps.
Gary

but what do you do if the student, even after retracing and revisiting still doesn't get it and it just seems like he/she is holding everyone else back?

Hi Franklin,
There are several things that I do with students that fall within this area of progress.
I try and determine if the reason for the lack of progress is based upon deficient academic skills, such as reading. If so then I try to assist the student with modified materials to help them acquire the knowledge required.
Another factor may be lack of motivation. If the student does not want to be in the class then I help that individual with moving to another career field in which there is a greater interest.
The third factor I look for is a learning disability such as dyslexia. If I find that the student has such a disability then I modify my materials to meet their needs.
The key point is that I try to meet the student's needs to the best of my ability. I also consult with college officials in my quest to help the student. I have found that I can generally help the student with one of these approaches. If not then I work with the college admissions/placement people to help with alternative solutions for the student.
Gary

I have taught for many years and have realized that the concept is the same for any age or any level.

If students are motivated and encouraged they perform better because they feel they have someone that believes in them.

I encounter student after student in my field that are going through external problems and feel very comfortable talking to me about them.

However not being school related issues some instructors won't take the time to listen to them or even empathize with them.

Most of the time when a person feels they are cared about enough that someone took the time to listen and being encouraging, that inturn motivates that student to continue to get through no matter what the external situation is.

So many students will withdraw from school because of that one factor, no one took the time to tell them that no matter how bad things may be, or may get or may seem--THEY CAN GET THROUGH IT!!

I AM A LIVING TESTIMENT TO THAT EXACT THING. WE WERE ALL ONCE STUDENTS, AND SOME OF US DIDN'T HAVE A GREAT SITUATION WHEN WE WERE ATTENDING SCHOOL, BUT WE SOMEHOW MADE IT THROUGH, AND MORE THAN LIKELY IS WAS BECAUSE ONE OF YOUR PROFESSORS, INSTRUCTORS, TEACHERS, OR STAFF MEMBERS BELIEVED ENOUGH IN YOU TO TELL YOU YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Hi Rochelle,
Excellent response to the forum. I think it becomes most relevant to those of us that have had direct experience in overcoming great odds to complete our education. I like you am one, and I can thank many great people in my past that helped me stay in school and continue my educational journey.
Gary

I agree with your step by step approach. For me,
trying to achieve all tasks at one time would be
exhausting to the student. Organization skills
are a must to the student to become movtivated.
Enthusiasm from the instructor is a great tool for motivating the students. Having confidence
and believing in the students capabilities would
motivate them.

Hi Elizabeth,
Keep up your efforts as they relate to organization and sequencing. This will prove to be an effective way of delivering instruction for your students and will give you many opportunities to develop rapport with your students.
Gary

As an instructor over time, I have come to realize a few things about adult learners and their motivations.

1) Its important to Validate them, they feel motivated when they know they are in the right place at the right time, and doing the right thing. I remind them of this as much as possible.

2)I take time to remind them about how much their chosen career training program and fields need them.

3)I remind them of their ultimate goal of completion, which is easy for them to forget over time (6-7 months into their training)

4) When starting a new class, I always thank my Students for continuing their education, and let them know how our communities, city, state and country will benefit from having one more productive member of our society when they finish their training. I do this to know that they are part of the Grander scheme of things and not just struggling on their own, there are people in our society that genuinely need and appreciate them.

5) When engaging my Students in an open classroom discussion, I always validate their answers even if incorrect as a good attempt at answering or finding a solution to the question or scenario. I encourage trying, nothing is more of a demoralizer to anyone, then to think that they tried and utterly failed in their attempts, cause some will lose the motivation to ever want to try again, especially if they have fragile egos or personalilities (which most of them do).

6) I NEVER ever say or use the word fail or failure when discussing their grades or attempts (Even it was an utter FAILURE), I use the term (Room for improvement) it doesnt carry such NEGATIVE conotations for the Student. I do not in any way want to destroy their morale or spirit.

7) I take time to remind my Students of the human side of Failure. And it may be a philosophical approach. But I teach them with out failure at times, there isnt personal growth. We all have failed at times in our lives, but what we do with failure and how we approach it, is the difference between champions and those who are not. Failure can be a learning experience as long as its kept in perspective.

Hi Mike,
This is a great list of how to work with adult learners. It is obvious that you have had extensive experience in working with these learners. You hit upon a number of key point that revolve around reinforcement and support. Both of which are critical in keeping adult learners moving forward with their education.
Gary

Sign In to comment