Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active Learning

Active learning involves preparing course content with the correct amount of lecture, discussion, thinking, demonstrations, assigned projects and analysis.

Hi Donald,
I love to get students involved in active learning by giving them hands-on activities that can do based on what they have learned from the lecture.

Patricia Scales

Hello Patricia

I also enjoy to engage students by giving them hands-on activities as well as open ended questions where the students start an open forum discussion. There are no absolute wrong or right answer since is based on their own opinion.

Hi Doris,
Students tend to enjoy open forum discussion due to it not being right or wrong. Let's face it, no one likes being wrong.

Patricia Scales

Yes, in dental hygiene, we have been taking the clinical research about dental products and then having each person be responsible for a section of the research (for example-evaluating the graphs and data) and then they teach the group about the section. Once all the sections of the research are reviewed and learned with the group, they do a formal presentation to the class. It takes a boring subject of research and brings it to life. They also discuss their experience with the product and how to apply it to clinical practice.

Hi Brenda,
How creative! Some students have a natural knack for teaching! I love peer teaching, simply because it amazes me how much students can really learn from each other!

Patricia Scales

Active learning is one of the most effective ways for learning in my experience. Teaching automotive technology discussing the operation of the different systems tend to make more sense when applied in live labs.

Hi Daniel,
Yes, students tend to understand the concept when they can actually do it.

Patricia Scales

In many criminal justice courses it is fairly easy to engage in active learning. We have practiced fingerprinting, have processed a mock crime scene and made footprint molds. Students love it. Obviously due to the nature of the content there are times when lecture is the most appropriate way to deliver the information, but I almost always use a powerpoint to help the students to follow along.

Hi Roger,
How intereesting. I can understand how the students love this type of active learning. For the most part, most students enjoy active learning.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment