Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom review

I like to review the days topic to see how much they have retained. I do this by involving the students in questions and answer sessions, this seems to work quite wll as far as retention goes.

Hi Choppy,
This is a good way to keep students alert because they know that they will be having a question/answer session.

Patricia Scales

I start with an agenda written on the board beginning with course name and date. It has what is going to be covered, new assignment and when the next quiz will be and what it will cover. At the beginning and end of each topic I ask question to lead into the discussion and at the end to bring that area to a close. This helps students get involved and understand where we are starting and when we've reached the end.

I think class reviews are very important to help the students retain what they have just learned. One fun way I review is to have the students stand up, then I crinkle a piece of paper. I toss the ball to a student saying their name, then give them a question to answer. They in turn can toss the ball to another student that I will ask a review question to.

Hi Patricia,
I like how you share the beginning and ending points with your students. Students tend to understand better what's in the middle when they understand the end and the beginning.

Patricia Scales

Hi Cheryl,
I love class reviews and students do too. I love using jeopardy to review for tests.

Patricia Scales

I always review topics from the prior day before class start to refresh on the content covered. Ask if there is any questions before we move forward on the days subject. I can hopefully clear up any confusion on prior topics before moving forward. At the end of the day a quick Q&A before they exit class usually solidifies subject matter.

Hi Chad,
I like this approach, how you recap from the previous day and the Q&A quick session to close the day.

Patricia Scales

i like to do a review the next day, i find that after several hours of lecture the are not as willing to participate as much as a fresh start the next day

Hi Mario,
When a student is fresh they are much more participative. We have to take advantage of our students high energy level.

Patricia Scales

I like to go over the day's information at the end of class. We have a short "quiz" that covers what we did, and then discuss the quiz---I require participation from everyone as we take apart what we learned. Usually it becomes animated as everyone discusses their take on the class. We have projects that require hands-on, and I use both group and individual applications.

I try to keep lessons which fit into 30 minute chunks since that seems to be the longest common attention span. I've noticed bored people do not learn well...

Hi Steve,
Wow, it sounds like your class is highly interactive! Students love it when active learning is taking place. No one likes boredom.

Patricia Scales

I feel it is a good idea to do a quick Q&A at the beginning of class to cover what was discussed the day before. I feel that when they have time to "sleep" on it, it seems to sink in a little better. The subconscious mind is a very powerful thing.

Hi Dustin,
I also like to do a quick briefing of what was lectured on the previous day before getting started.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment