Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Power point instruction

Hi I would like to talk about the use of power point in the class room. In my school it is required in my course to use about 70% of our first days in power point presentation. This encompases about 1/4 of the time available for the class. The way the class syllabus is configured I have little to no choice but to follow the pre planned time line. Outside of disregarding my supervisors can any one suggest an alternate method?

Hi Michael:
Here's one approach to the mandated use of PPT: Engage the students in the presentation. Have them lead a discussion on their views or comments about the information provided. They may not have to do the whole lesson, and you can involve every student separately or in groups if your class is large. Students always remember more when they have an active role in the presentation.

Regards, Barry

A powerpoint presentation is an excellent platform from which to expound on the instructional subject matter.

Hi Luis:
PPT's can add a dimension of interest to an otherwise plain type lecture. For it to be effective, you want to think of the PPT as a tool rather than the focus of attention. Short bits of information and not too much information all at one time seem to work best.

Regards, Barry

if power point is used properly, it probably
can be a very good instructional tool.
i think, if we used it perhaps no more than one hour, then apply it in a lab or demo, it
would do a lot more than pounding it all day.
that is a recipy for a classroom full of
sleeping students

Hi James:
You're right - too much PPT at one time can be a little overwhelming. In fact, too much of just about any sort of media presentation can be hard for students to follow. As you say, mixing it up with a small bit of PPT, added with other instructional strategies, especially those that engage students, will help retention of information.

Regards, Barry

YEAH! I agree that about an hour a day would be a good tolerable part of each day in class. Yup, otherwise, you have a bunch of sleepy students.Unfortunately, we don't have much freedom at MMI to change how we teach our classes.

Hi Craig:
Creative teachers find that if they mix up the day or lesson with a variety of media options, they can make for an interesting and engaged class. You'll have to think about what resources you have available to you and work with those. It may take a little time, but in the end, it'll be worth the time.

Regards, Barry

I agree with your thoughts. Having the students participate also increases their comfort level with PP and gives them an additional skill. Having the slides printed with extra lines for note-taking also gives the students a great way to keep intuned with the lecture, take accurate and organized notes, as well as organized thought processes.

Thanks!

Hi Jennifer:
I really think as great as PPT is, it is overused as a tool. Would a construction worker rely mostly on a hammer? But for summarizing key points that can be elaborated on and discussed at greater length with students, it does a good job. Sometimes I'll make two sets of slides for a presentation with blanks where key terms or points should be located. The students are expected to follow along and fill in on their slide copy the missing terms, points, or message. It helps mostly with recall information (memorized) and as an adjunct to studying for quizes. Alternatively, I've gone through my slides with students taking their own notes, then I'll give them a copy of slides afterwards. I want them to pay attention and not read ahead.

Regards, Barry

I have grown very fond of my powerpoints but I always ask questions and allow time to dicuss things that come up during the presentation. It really gets the students more involved and they pay attention better.

Hi Connie:
Great! PPT works best when it is combined with other learning media, including discussion. It's the difference between passive and active learning.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment