Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

retaking test

never give the same test out due to other students sharing info.

Adina,
Tests are about measuring learning, so whatever plan is devised we want to make sure that the goal of measuring occurs.

Barry Westling

I agree. we have a bank of tests and always give a different version to retakes. Its taking the opportunity of cheating somewhat out of the equation.

Glenn,
If we want to measure learning, then it's important that tools that can accurate assess knowledge gained be used in the class.

Barry Westling

I've found that student who take the make up exam regardless if it is the same test or different tend to achieve the same result according to their previous scores.

Salina,
I think your observation about students achieving the same result regardless is probably accurate. Of course if the same test is used and classmates share test information, that'll skew results. To assure fairness, I prefer to use a different test, but assess essentially the same material. I also assign a small percentage deduction to dissuade students from deliberately missing the scheduled test date.

Barry Westling

Retaking a test for students is positive, but also a negative opportunity. Students that have a strong drive to do their best, do well on retakes. However, students that qualify to take a retake test because they failed, often make a lower score. I have to be fair for all students. If they qualify for retakes, then they have an opportunity.

Jaime,
We have to be as fair as possible. Our goal is to measure learning and if the system used to do that is flawed somehow then our measurement will not be accurate either.

Barry Westling

Re-wording often gets there mind on another answer that will make them think.

George,
My take on retakes is to consider if by doing so, will it be helpful to student learning. If so, there are a lot of methods to re-administer an exam.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment