Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

feedback

make sure you give feedback to each student if they did well or not

Hi Troy:

Yes! Feedback is an excellent method for students to benefit from testing and assessment. Your challenge is to develop and a use a grading system that is fair, accurate, and effective in measuring your student learning outcomes.

Regards, Barry

I agree the student needs to know were they stand in the class, when it permittes I always go over quizs after there done this helps the student were he or she missed one and why.

Greg:

Reviewing quizzes is a great idea! It provides important feedback to the students while informing the student where their thinking was off base. I think this also allows you to provide individual comments to students about missed questions. In a way, it's like you get to use the quiz - an assessment tool - as an instructional tool.

Good suggestion.

Regards, Barry

I review the test at the class session following. I am open to discuss disputes and errors in grading. I let students know that if they have questions they can see me after class or make an appointment if time does not permit.

Samuel:

I think immediate feedback such as you suggest is quite helpful. By providing on-course correction the student is more likely to remember where their thinking was off and also it helps reinforce the correct information. The longer passage of time before reviewing only delays and diminishes recall of essential information.

Regards, Barry

I remember taking a midterm exam in Psychology my junior year in college. I hadn't studied as well as I might have and received a 'C.' The professor wrote a note next to my grade which said something to the effect of "Anne, I'm sur-prised at you! Why are you going this way?" I talked to him afterwards and told him that quite honestly I had procrastinated in my study in order to complete work for another course. I was taking an overload of courses that quarter and was having a hard time 'not robbing Peter to pay Paul.' He seemed understanding yet still a bit baffled. Well..that note he wrote had the effect on me of working crazily to do an out-standing job of the classroom assignments, final paper and final exam. I received 'A's' on all of them and an 'A' in the course! Dr. Quirk (that was his real name!) was a 'good psychologist.' He knew what he was doing when he wrote that note. Being a perfectionist by nature, any glint of failure (a 'C' was a failing grade, to me) made me work extremely hard to cancel out the bad or mediocre job to bring the grade back to a high one. It also restored my self-respect. Without that, one has nothing.

Hi Anne:
You've introduced an important principle about human nature. Part recognition, part motivation, part improvement; part satisfaction. It's interesting that simple words and acts of encouragement can have such profound effects on students, oftentimes more than we would ever know, as you've demonstated in your post.

Regards, Barry

I agree that you have to give feedback to the students to let them know if they did well. i always give back their tests and quizzes and also at the end of the module i give them a grade breakdown two days before the final exam. the grade breakdown has all their grades except their final exam. usually students will ask how much do i need to get on the final to get an A or a B. i give them a round about figure.

Hi Bindu:
Student feedback such as you describe is a great way for the student to know where their strength and weaknesses may lie, and also builds trust with you as the instructor which helps communication and expectations for future tests.

A well written syllabus will describe in detail how and what the student needs to do in order to earn a grade. Frequent referencing these course standards won't eliminate the student asking what their grade will be, but it will help keep them informed on their progress on their own.

Regards, Barry

Feedback is an excellent way that instructor
can easily understand the student's status.
then instructor can take necessary step for
next time that how student can improve in the
critical area.

It is always good to give a feedback after the test or quiz,appreciate those who did well by announcing their score and saying well done and talking to the students who did not do well in private and advise them and ask them what was the problem and if they need additional help to understand, make them feel that you do care about their score's and mean good.Then go over the test and give them write answers.It really make's a difference.

this is very important,a pat on the back is worth more than any score

In my course all the team members give feedback daily to the students about there progress. In most cases it is done one on one with the instructor. We always give feedback at the end of the program and make sure the student does not have any misunderstandings about his or her final grade for the class.

Hi James:
Wow, I think daily feedback is a terrific approach because, as you say, in most cases it should leave no doubt in the students mind about faculty expecatations. Good thought.

Regards, Barry

it is the best way i think to find out if they understud what you where telling them.
becuse they can get by when they work in groups

I give feedback to my student after each exam also i give them a progress report at the end of ea week.

Feedback is not only good for the students to know how they are doing in class, but also, having feedback from the class to see how well they are learning and what alternative and changes can be done for a better aducation.

Feed back is not only good for the student , it is also good for the instructor.Feed back can help the instructor pinpoint problems the student is facing.

Hi William:
Good points. Students can provide one source of feedback that can be valuable - even though it might be a bit subjective. We should be open to critiques by our students, embrace their perspective, and be willing to honestly assess their comments, and adapt if necessary.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment