Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Immediate feedback is one of the most important tools that I use in a Technical Training situation. It not only benefits me and how I grade, but, my students like to know right then and there if they are correct.

Hi Charles:
Great - this technique keeps the ship steered in the right direction (on course and action taken before things get too off course).

Regards, Barry

I very much agree, I pretty much go over every test after testing ( giving test questions in different order of course ) it helps students understand why they missed the questions and it also tends to start a general discussion among the entire class on that perticular topic.

Hi Karl:
Keeping the students up to speed on their performance - what they missed and why - can really contribute to greater understanding , both at the time and with current information, and down the road, with not yet presented information. Your method in reviewing teaches students something about how they learn.

Regards, Barry

Students need objective feedback as well as suggestions as to how to improve their performance. Suggestions also need to be tempered with the willingness of the instuctor to help in whatever ways they are able. These actions show the student we are interested in their success.

Hi Steve:
You got it. Sometimes just the connection of visiting with the student, along with sharing of grades or other performance observations, can make the difference in a student being very motivated vs. just getting by. If the students sense the teacher cares, we'll get better results.

Regards. Barry

What a great story. I would like to have the experience to provide encouragement and support in such a way.

Hi Patrick:
I think we all have the capacity to be great motivators to our students if we simply show them we care about their success, are willing to be kind and courteous, and maybe a little extra patient. "Do unto others..." Students will pick up when thet're with a caring teachiher and when they are not.

Regards, Barry

Feed back is a very good way to evaluate the student's and the instructor status. Give the opportunity to take the next step and make necessary correction.

Hi Catherine:
Yes, although student feedback is not always accurate, it is one way for an instructor to get a sense or pulse on how things are going.

Regards, Barry

Feed back is so important. I have found when you review a test with the whole class, not everyone will want to discuss what they missed. So after a class review, I like to individually collect their tests & look at least 1 question with them they missed & often they will ask me about other questions they missed. Which allows them to learn from their mistakes.

Hi Candy:
Good sensitivity to human behavior (feeling emabarrassed). But the feedback is great and really important to students getting as mich on course correction as possible. I'm sure you've found that if one student has a question, more than likely more will have that same question.

Also, unless you've got a room full of Einstein's, it never hurts to repeat necessary information more than once. Repitition, rehearsal, practice, different names but the same principle.

Regards, Barry

Feedback should always be given in such a manner as to help the student feel both respected and reflective in terms of their status. Even when the news/grade you have to deliver is not so good, it can be done in such a way as to create opportunity for the student to feel motivated to do better next time.

Hi Sandra:
I belive you have identified a key principle in dealing with students when communicating their grades, whether good or needing improvement.

Of course, no wants to hear bad news. We have a responsibility to be hosest, sincere and direct in giving our most accurate assessment and advice. But that can be done with kindness, in a caring way that the student feels encouraged and supported. They'll feel like the teacher cares about their success.

Courtesy and kindness can be the atmosphere that can create an inner desire for the student to want to try harder. It really takes no extra effort to display empathy and kindness to students. They'll remember that.

Regards, Barry

If you are trying to teach or instruct students to learn a technical skill in a short time period the two things you need are practice and feedback.
The old saying that practice makes perfect is true and if you can also marry that with immediate feedback you have a system that can properly train students. I give both. As much hands on in any class that I teach with practice, practice, practice and continuous honest feedback on whether the task was performed properly or not.
Works for me.

ROBERT,
Feedback is powerful (i.e. radar and sonar). In the classroom, opportunities for practice can be limited, and therefore should be dialed in as many activities as possible, especially in technical courses that have shorter time allocations. I believe practice, rehearsal, repetition, demonstration and return demonstration are needed, beneficial, and contribute to better student outcomes.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment