Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Building Trust and Self-Esteem in the Classroom

As a second/foreign language teacher, I believe it is crucial for learning to take place with trust, self-esteem and motivation paramount. Although these are not 'academic' oriented classroom requirements, no one can learn in a crisis situation. Therefore, I take a good deal of time showing my students how to build self-esteem in others and know one another better. Then I focus a lot on group projects where the students must learn to work in a 'society' that respects these three traits. Therefore, my question is: What other methods would you use in a classroom to build trust and self-esteem?

Testing

I enjoy giving application oriented test.

General Assessment

I like to engage students in general conversation at times to determine if they are taking their course work seriously.

students at different times

I have open enrollment twice a month. There orination. covers all areas of this module,but I feel now, I have a better understanding of the order in which it should be completed

lesson plan

a proper lesson plan does provide stucture for a new class.

meeting class

How hard is it to overcome bad first impressions?

Questioning

I find it helpful to ask question of students that have experience relevent to the topic.

Learning Styles

I find that visual and appplication oriented activities work best for my students.

tests

tests should show what the student has learened bye the use of quest., based on main points and areas of more concern in the field

asking questions

asking questions lets you know if they are understanding and thinking about the subject

Student Assessment

When testing a student one needs to keep in mind of the comprehension. How well will the student comprehend the questions that one may ask? Do not give a test that is above the student level. Always make sure that the student has a good feeling about themselves after a test is given. This is very important, because this gives reinsurance to the student so they may move forward with pride.

Tips for new teachers

What would be some suggestions to build confidence going into that fist day in your first teaching assighnment?

See one teach one

As a first time teacher I will attend the class I will be teaching with an experienced instructor, then I will teach the next one. Any advice how I can get the most out this training method?

Cohort groups speaking foreign languages.

I’ve had experience with many different types of cohort groups. I’ve been able to control most of them but I’m having difficulties controlling cohort group that communicate with one another in a foreign language. I’ve tried many scenarios to handle the situation such as having an “English only in class” rule, assigning seats, private verbal warnings, etc. My attempts have not been successful yet and I’m open to ideas and suggestions. Thank You, Elizabeth

Classroom Assessments

Sometimes I think I am a little unorthodox in the way I assess students. I break rules like reviewing a test after it is given. I use this for a learning tool. I do have strict rules about how the test will be reviewed. If the student can prove a answer that I have marked incorrect I will award the points back to the student.

Assessments

Assessments are difficult for me sometimes. I try to find many different ways to address the different types of learners in my classes. I use different methods to assess their learning, not just a multiple choice quiz at the end of the quarter, however, I'm not sure if my multiple choice assessment assess what they are suppose to. Any suggestions?

partial class demos

What does everyone think about doing demos to 5 to 6 students at a time during lab, then moving on to another group instead of giving a demo to all at once?

I learned a lot

this was my favorite section. I learned a lot.

individual planning

How much individual planning should be done versus using the standardized instructor guide/

What are the limits of instructional style

I wonder where the limits of different styles lie. there are som many ways to get the information out. I wonder sometimes how animated you can be and still maintain class control and stay on your message