Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Tough Critiques or Too Nice?

I tend to find it hard to critique work from students that have learning needs, or a disability. I don't want to pass them for just doing the work, but I also do not want to trash their work because they are not truly understanding the concepts. Anyone else find this to be troublesome?

Group Project Roles

I like to assign specific roles that are needed to be filled within the group, and then have the group nominate each other for these roles. I give a title and description of what is needed and then they are each filled as soon as the groups are made. It makes people work harder and stronger as a group.

Traumatic Brain Injuries

What new studies have been done to help our Vets with TBI?

High-Risk activities

I like this idea of using high risk activities but preparing for what the outcomes and risks might be. This is highly effective because you can develop a backup plan so that learning outcomes are still met and student frustration is minimized as well as work effort maximized.

keeping it real with students

students are very perceptive and you need to have good managerial and technical skills in order to come across as believable.

Types of learners

I always enjoyed the science book that had a variety of learning styles in every chapter. I miss this in the present text book.

Addressing off topic/ advanced Questions

In each class, there are students who are always hungry for more learning. These students ask a lot of questions and take it upon themselves to continue their learning outside of class requirements. These students tend to ask questions pertaining to topics not yet addressed in class, or about topics pertaining to another course. I would love to answer all the questions, but that would leave little time for covering current topics. What are some effective methods of addressing such questions without diverting from the current topic, and without ‘passing the buck’? I try to direct the student to sources that will help them answer their question for themselves, but I often find myself replying to off topic or advanced questions with “that’s a question for another day/ class.”

most common

Dyslexia is a vey popular one. I am interested in those students who have emotional disturbances such as aggression or depression and how those illness affect learning. There is so much work to do with students who experience emotional disturbances.

working with students with learning needs

Learning difficulties are common in the adult-ed classrooms. It's important that students are identified and set up with the support needed to succeed in their goals.

working in groups

Adult students enjoy working in groups because they enjoy the opportunity to interact and learn about their commonalities and goals.

Student groups

After getting to know the class and the class getting to know each other. Would you recommend that the class picks their own group or should I do it? I feel there is Pro's and Con's to both sides.

Not a learning disability

I find it helpful to relate to a student with a "learning disability" by identifying my own strengths and weaknesses with learning to remind them that the human race is not perfect.

Movement and Gestures

I find moving around the classroom and gestures is effective not only with delivery of instruction but is also helpful with keeping students from side bar conversation, sleeping, playing with cell phones, etc.

Learning stations

Place students in different areas of the room give a topic and let them go from topic to topic then have a major discussion group.

Regarding tests

Multiple choice questions require greater thinking on the part of the student as opposed to "true or False" questions. However, true or false questions are easier to compose.

online vs human contact

It would be interesting to compare outcomes between online instruction vs having an instructor actually teaching.

Humor

I tend to use humor and current topics, to help steer some of my lectures. It helps stimulate their thought process and helps them tie in with what I am trying to tell them.

delivering method

students love hearing everything about scenarios or situations the happen to the instructor and their field and how he/her deal with the issue without getting and trouble and discuss diferent scenarios and how each student handle the same situation making students to participate and share with the class how each react to the situation and how to be solve and thier own words and ideas

positive introduction

to created this bound bewteen instructor with a new class is the first impression what mark if the students want to follow you the whole cicle and be motivate to listen and take notes and keeping then excite about this new class and the context of the subject, be and instructor I well prepared all the imformation and projects and try to facilitate the nessesary information, new classes make me a little nervous because I like to give my best impression to the students to created a good enviroment of learning

planning for success

by planning and having a well and clear plan help the students to acomplish what the daily material is to acomplish by adding books and pictures about new technology and new sources about the subject keep students very imform and be current with their careers