Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Importance of Retention

It was interesting to find that each department plays an important role in student retention.  I knew that retention was important in career colleges; and how it impacted the funding of the school when enrollment is down.  However, I did not know that each department was involved in the process.  Now  I can understand why so many added responsibilities are placed on faculty, other than what we were hired to do.  In the past, I have always tried to go the extra mile to do whatever is necessary to see our students successful in completing their program.  Now I will be willing to do even more; because if our students fail, the we all fail.

I now know that it is important to keep every student in school, and that it takes a concerted effort of the complete staff at the campus to help the student succeed.  There are many approaches that can be used by those who are in contact with the students, directly or indirectly; from Instructors and Administration to Support Staff. 

As I stated in my previous, retention is important for all team members involved. If we don't have students, then we won't have a jkob.

Ha! Ruth makes a good point! "If we don't have students, then we won't have a job" This is true and I agree that it is a team effort, but I believe that the majority of the responsibility rests  on the instructors. After all we pass or fail these students. Your thoughts?

I agree that having all employees at the institution work together to help students realize their dream of a better future, will have a positive outcome on the commitment and success of the student.

All employees should work together to promote retention but I do not see this always happening due to paucity of required training and follow-up.  The school administration needs to constantly monitor training to gauge its effectiveness on reducing retention.  Without followup the program stalls.

All employees of the institiution from the CEO to the m peopleaintenace are responsible for rtaining students. Students are your customers, make them happy, and they will always come back and will stay loyal to you..

I'm proud to be affiliated with a team of instructors who display pride both in their work and their students performance on a daily basis. While on the path towards ever better retention, we all become better instructors and administrators.

Everyone who works in their particulkar school are responsible for attrition. We should all maintain some form of contact with current and fromer students and relay any information about an at risk student so that we may catch a problem before it happens

Sign In to comment