Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Orientation Programs

A good orientation program is essential to student retention. Students have to understand what is expected of them and we have to understand what the student is expecting of us.

Julie,

I understand where you are coming from. I think a good orientation program is key to a student’s success. If students do not know, what is expected of them up from they may fail down the road or give up. I think everything must be put in front of them from the beginning, including attendance, and grading expectations.

Yes, giving them tips on how to study. Attendance is a big factor and how it affects their grade. I've experienced that every orientation most students are extremely nervous and its up to us to ease their nerves. This is why making it a fun atmosphere and not just lecturing is very important, interacting with them by asking questions or introducing themselves to each other are great ideas to break the ice.

Bertha,

Yes, It has been my practice to have new students introduce themselves to each other in orientation. I stress that making connections and developing a support network will greatly aid in achieving their education goals.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I think the better an orientation is the less problems the students will have with things that just "come up"

Robert,

Orientation is not a single day event. It is a longer process that can continue into the second course or term of a student.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Hi Bertha - We just implemented an ice breaker in orientation where we ask them to pair up and introduce themselves to each other and find a commonality among the two of them and introduce them to the group. It's a little nervewracking for the students, but it opens up dialog and helps them to bond with each other. Does anyone else have any ideas for "fun activities"? Suzanne

Suzanne,

the activity might be nervewracking at the start but I bet the air is different after the students have made the connection with a fellow student.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Sign In to comment