Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retention

I think student retention atarts at the moment they come on to campus . It's the relationship they build first with the admission rep's. financial rep's, instructors.

Omesa,

Yes, retention begins at enrollment. Retention is also a school wide effort.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Retention continues in the class room and throuh out the school for support and giving the student confidence in his/her self.

Timothy,

Building self-confidence is an outcome of their education that underlies their entire curriculum.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I also think retention continues on long after the student has graduated. They make very strong case for attending school and studying hard to do well with the ultimate payoffs from the students education!

Scott,

And bringing the graduate back to talk to current students helps them to understand they too can be successful.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I think that the most successful students conduct a lot of research about the program and the field they are interested in before they start a program. Admissions should encourage prospective students to do some research before they make a final decision

Cheryl,

The student definitely should know about the field.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I agree. Student retention begins with the first person they come in contact with on campus. Also, the faculty and staff must be on one accord. Once the standard is set, everyone must adhere to them in order to keep the students.

I agreee that retention starts when they come to campus for their first visit. The comfprt that they first feel with the staff, faculty is extremely important. They also need to be aware of what the program they want to pursue entails as well. The admissions reps need to have the discussion with the prospective students and make sure they are prepared and will be successful.

Jamie,

And the Admissions reps need frequent product knowledge in order to represent the programs to prospects as best as possible.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

The Admission reps have to get to know the student in a very short time and assess what program the potential student would like to be enrolled in. They definitely have to be on their toes and very personable. The Financial Aid reps also need to be cheerful and explain things. The only downside is that at times, I have listened to the Admissions rep's speech and it can seem a little rehearsed. I know that they have a script to follow, but perhaps they can not sound so wooden, like they are just repeating things. Make it interesting.

Lise,

Provide this feedback to others. Also look at how product knowledge is provided to the Admissions team and identify ways to help them improve their presentation through that information.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

This was a new concept of being conscious of retention this early in the process.

Retention can start with the first phone call...but it takes a "village"...everyone the student comes in contact with must be committed to the student's success

Lynn,

More people at the school get involved with an individual student throughout their education than anyone might assume.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I agree students should be encouraged to research the field that they are choosing and the school that they are going to attend. The more students’ research before they start the school the fewer buyers’ remorse we may see. As it stands in the school I work for I’m constantly talking with students who still have questions about their choice of careers and if the school is right for them .I’m having too many conversations about the student thinking about leaving school.
I feel if these issues were addressed more head on in the initial contact with the student then we could concentrate more on education and the student experience.

In reality retention starts before the student comes to campus .The one thing that we never talk about or try to assess in our students is the most important factor on whether they will complete the school or not. “Grit” the students ability to stick to his or hers goal no matter what. This is the key to retention and success in all that we do. Studies show its not ability or IQ that determine success but it’s the grit of the individual to overcome all obstacles that will ultimately determine success.
All students should be given a questionnaire that tries to determine these qualities in the student. Those students that lack grit should be invited to training before school starts to try and focus them on the task ahead.

ROBERT,

It is a good idea to frequently check with the student about career choice. It may not be an upfront issue but about the student learning more about the field and it being more challenging than expected.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

ROBERT,

There are assessments for risk factors that may meet your needs. It may not be grit that needs to be determined but understanding what in the student's background or outside life might distract them from persisting in their studies.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Sign In to comment