Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Short and Sweet

Orientation should have all the following information included in module but short and sweet and to the point...

I agree. Students are typically expecting a brief introduction and "welcome" to the student body. Dragging out introductions, policy, rules, expectations and piling paper will only serve to deflate their excitement. Enthusiastic welcome and participation make for much better orientations...

You don't want a long drawn out orientation, but at the same time, it has to have substance. Students also don't want to attend an event that doesn't appear to be well thought out and not worthy of their time. It is an opportunity to inform as well as introduce the students to the culture of you school, making them feel confortable with "their" new schoolenvironment.

I agree, however I do think that if you over load the student with information right off the get go it over whelms them and possibly even scares them. I wouldn't say keep it short and sweet, but I would say be direct and to the point in a positive way.

I think it is also a good idea to incorporate some activities that can be fun and teach them about the school culture as well. Even though students may gripe about "social" activities it does help to break the ice and learn about the lay of the land without just listening to someone "talk at them."

Otherwise students loose intrest and their focus can cause them to perceive differently.

I agree that an oriention should be short and sweet. Only relay the most important information so as to get them a taste of things to come which will allow more anticipation to build and excitment that will be sure to have them show up.

Orientation is important because 1st impressions are lasting. This is a prime time to establish some type of trust ensuring the students will feel comfortable in relations to the career choices they have made.

Sign In to comment