Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Training

Attrition/retention training is never complete.
In order to improve we must train our faculty over and over again to gain a better outcome.

Agreed and even then it may no be enough. I believe we also have to train the admissions department on retention and student committment as well so they too have a full understanding on what is required to be successful in the school.

Student success is everyone's business. Admissions personnel have to understand what it takes to succeed and faculty has to appreciate the struggles that many of our students have.

The culture of the institution must re-inforce the importance of customer service all the time.

I agree with all of these. In order to change the schools culture, and to increase retention, there must be total school involvement.

It would be beneficial for each department to see a day in each others departments. I believe this will give some insight to each department in the institution, this will help to stop the departmental blocks and to help the school staff and faculty to appreciate each others goals more effectively, and ultimately stop the blame game, and help us all to work together and to see the main focus is the student.

I also agree. Training involves all departments and is an ongoing process. Granted, each department is evaluated differently but the common denominator and the total process begins and ends with the student and is predicated on his/her success. It is a total tean effort.

Setting up an internal job shadowing program could be a daunting task, but I agree that it could have a very significant impact on the institution. Laura, is this something that your institution does now? If so, could you share more details about how it's structured and implemented.

Who is responsible for training content and delivery? Does each department develop their own? Is it part of the annual review process?

We don't actually do job shadowing, unless we hire the prospect. We try to have each new instructor train with different instructors to see different teaching styles for the first 2 weeks.
This really helps with new instructors.

The Director of Education is responsible for the training content and supervision. The institution has a check off sheet to follow.

I too, concur. Retention is everyone's business. Retention training must be visited by each and every person that works at your institution from the custodians to the president. This topic should always be discussed.

I completely agree that in order for each staff member to truely understand what it takes to increase retention that should walk in each others steps. It can be easy to blame, Admissions didn't sell it right or gave false promises, instructors aren't teaching or care about the studnet the right way, Career services don't ry to help until it is too late. A good retention plan means everyone working together.

Anthony, if you were responsible for a retention training session what would you do/say?

And how do you develop a good retention plan that gets everyone to work together, Tami?

Wonderful idea about the traning of the admissions department on retention and student committment, I agree totally.

Several other jobs I've had in the past did a job shadowing as part of the job. I think this would really help the teachers appreciate and have a better understanding of what each department and department head has to do, in order to run the organization or school effectively. I have had the oppertunity to participate in other departments activities and really learned alot. I've even been asked to help with admissions, which was a real treat and gave me a new perspective on teacher student interaction on a different level.

THIS IS VERY TRUE.TRAINING IS THE RESULT OF PROVEN TECHNIQUES IMPLEMENTED TO PRODUCE RESULTS BENEFICAL TO THE TEAM.THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT AND CHALLENGING FOR THE STUDENT OR CUSTOMER.

Sign In to comment