Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivation

I am looking for a book/cd that could be given to prospective students . Something dealing with career search, getting control of your life, motivation etc.

Interesting concept, Celesta. What is the budget for this? There are many resources available but generally, they aren't free.

No budget has been set, we're just looking for something to have available for students that may need it.

Making Your Mark is an economical book that focuses on the skills students need to succeed in school and the workplace. You can learn more about it at www.makingyourmark.com.

Thank you, I will check it out.

I show a Les Brown video in class that belonged to a colleague, so it was very reasonable (free). He is a motivational speaker and, while he has no formal eudcation, can motivate students to see their potential worth in society and think about career choices. My video is getting old, but it still gets a positive reaction from the students.

I also go to the school library and do a computer search of current videos/cds in specific topics. You may find that materials already exist at your institution or the library may order new materials for use in the library and you can borrow them. These are tricks of the trade that I have learned over time.

Unfortunately, I do not have something on this topic that I actually give the students to keep.

Cheryl, is this done in connection with a class? If so, is in the students' first term on campus? How do the admissions people "sell" the career choice? Do they have any generic materials that other schools could access?

I happen to teach a Health 101 course that reaches many first-year students in education, nursing, etc. It addresses occupational issues, stress, anxiety and time management, physical and mental health as well as chronic illness. The subject matter makes it easy for me to interject the motivational topics which also connects with career choice.

Thank you for the link. I believe that a combination of different techniques and tools is key for any retention program to succeed. I am greatful for all the good ideas and tips I have collected or been inspired to implement.

There is no silver bullet. A successful retention program has many resources and relies on having the right people in the right place at the right time to deliver them effectively. What tools do you plan to implement, Julio?

One of the best books I have found for motivation is entitled BEING HAPPY! A Handbook to Greater Confidence & Security. The book costs about $10 and it is written and illustrated in a funny manner. The author & illustrator is Andrew Matthews. The book is great because it addresses the issue of responsibility despite whatever problems you grew up with in life. There are examples of people who had to overcome incredible obstacles to succeed and still became famous in their occupation.
After taking this course, I think I will add it to the required curriculum. I read it to my students in dictation classes and I have it available in the library.

Do you have a course at the beginning of your program that deals with transition and success issues? Do you have a course that deals with job seeking skills like interview techniques and resume preparation? This book would seem to support the development of those sorts of skills.

Yes, I do have several courses where I believe I could incorporate this book to reinforce the skills you mentioned.

Sign In to comment